The AFP news agency claims that the US Secretary of State has begun implementing the section that will force the Security Council to reaffirm the sanctions, which have not been extended.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo // Photo: Reuters
The US Secretary of State has sent a letter announcing the implementation of the "Snapback" clause, which will force the UN Security Council to re-approve the organization's sanctions on Iran, in order to pressure it to abandon its nuclear program, Reuters reported.
The move comes after a failure by the UN Security Council last week to extend the arms embargo on Iran, a failure that could allow Tehran to re-equip Russian and Chinese weapons.
US President Donald Trump said tonight that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will notify the UN Security Council that the United States intends to return most of the sanctions on Iran. UN Antonio Gutters, Reuters reports.
According to Trump, the sanctions previously suspended will be almost fully reinstated. The president said tonight that it was clear that the United States had always had the right to impose sanctions on Iran again. Secretary of State Pompeo added that the United States would take action against Russia and China if they tried to lift the sanctions, and warned them against such a move, claiming they would be held accountable.
"Steps have already been taken against countries that have violated current US sanctions on Iran. We will do the same with the broader UN Security Council sanctions," Pompeo told Fox News.
Earlier this week, Trump said at a news conference that he would not respond to Russian President Vladimir Putin's invitation to a political summit to discuss sanctions on Iran. During his remarks in New Jersey, Trump said he was unlikely to attend such a conference, and that he intended to impose sanctions on Iran at the UN.
More on the topic:
• Fear: Iran is galloping into a bomb sponsored by the virus
• Iran is taking advantage of the corona to break sanctions
• Will the US ease sanctions on Iran?
Trump has promised that during the week there will be a response to the Security Council's rejection of the United States' proposal to extend the arms embargo on Iran indefinitely. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in response that "the rejection will allow the world's largest sponsor of terrorism to continue buying and selling lethal weapons. We will soon impose new sanctions on Iran, in the coming days."
The arms embargo on Iran, which began in 2007, is expected to end on October 18 this year. Secretary of State Pompeo demanded in April this year to extend the arms embargo, following growing concern in the US administration and in Israel that following the corona crisis, which is taking many victims from the Iranian people, Tehran will decide to accelerate their nuclear project.
As mentioned, on Friday the Security Council dropped a proposal to extend an arms embargo on Tehran, which is due to expire in October. "They're just connected to this crazy nuclear deal, they're trying to hold on to it," Pompeo said at the time.