Many students do not just spend their Abitur period with cramming - entire committees of graduating students organize graduation trips, Abitur Abitur and the Abiball. It is often a celebration of the extra class: has been celebrated in luxury hotels and the Cologne football stadium.
Depending on the size and complexity of the celebration, the costs for the hall, music, food and drink can quickly be around € 30,000. The problem: Most young people have little experience with planning large events. Those who rely on the support of event agencies should be cautious when negotiating contracts, warns Stiftung Warentest.
In the journal "Finanztest" (issue 12/2019) she shows typical contract traps and gives tips on how to avoid them. Stiftung Warentest refers exclusively to contracts with event agencies, but also in the organization without an agency contracts usually have to be signed. Basically, it is worthwhile to obtain several offers and not be put under pressure in the selection - so do not immediately sign on the spot.
Determine achievements and number of guests exactly
There can be trouble, for example, if the contract is spongy. Then the celebration can be much more expensive than expected, or verbally agreed services can suddenly be missed at the event. The more details are set, the better. This means:
- Precisely define the beginning and end of the celebration .
- The type of beverage bill determine : flat rate or unit price.
- List the services exactly. These include music, room cleaning and the food that will be available in the evening. Young people should avoid contracts with phrases like "while stocks last".
- The Liability clarify : The organizer is responsible for the safety on site and for his guests. So that young people do not have to be liable for high contract sums and end up on a mountain debt, should be clearly defined in the contract, who is the organizer and who is liable for the sum. Ideally, the event agency has a corresponding insurance with high coverage for possible damage.
- Determine the number of guests in advance of contract conclusion by arranging a binding card order for parents, friends, relatives, teachers and students. The number of guests should be recorded in the contract exactly.
If you want to reduce the number of guests later on, you have to expect additional costs, which you have to pay the event agency. The number to increase by 10 to 20 percent, according to Stiftung Warentest usually possible without extra charge. Incidentally, the Jobcenter does not pay the cards for Hartz IV recipients.