Casino's five trade unions, "worried" about the future of the group, which is in great financial difficulty and could sell new supermarkets and hypermarkets, announced to AFP on Friday that they had filed a strike notice with management starting on December 5.
This strike notice, which runs until 31 December, "concerns all employees and managers of the Casino group and is caused by the lack of consideration for them and the worrying situation of the future of Casino's integrity", said in a joint statement these five organisations (FO, CGT, CFDT, Unsa, CFE-CGC) united in an inter-union group.
"Employees, supervisors, managers and managers demand a response from the current management and the members of the consortium (of buyers from their group) to the request for meetings with their union representatives," the five unions added.
A feared "dismemberment of the group"
This meeting had been requested on Wednesday by the inter-union union, which had warned that in the absence of a response it would draw "the consequences".
The unions fear "a carve-up of the group" since Casino said it was ready to study "expressions of interest" from competitors for the takeover of hypermarkets and supermarkets that have not yet been sold by the retailer in a perilous economic situation.
This announcement comes the day after the announcement of the existence of a joint offer with Les Mousquetaires/Intermarché to buy all the hypermarkets and supermarkets not yet sold by the retailer in great financial difficulty Casino. Intermarché already reached an agreement with Casino a few months ago for the purchase of 119 stores, plus an option of around sixty. About sixty of them changed brands at the beginning of October.
Several trade-in offers "under review"
Casino had confirmed on Thursday that it had "received to date indicative preliminary offers from several buyers" for the purchase of "different perimeters" of hypermarkets and supermarkets.
The company said it "will not give details on the content of the offers that are currently being examined" and added that "any sale operation will have to be approved in advance by the consortium" bidding to take over Casino, which includes Czech billionaire Daniel Kretinsky and Frenchman Marc Ladreit de Lacharrière.