A verdict is pending in the trial against Sinisa K. (symbol image)
Photo: Frank Rumpenhorst / dpa
Sinisa K. is said to have committed seven sexual attacks on young women in Berlin and Brandenburg.
The public prosecutor has therefore now pleaded for a sentence of 14 years imprisonment against the accused.
In addition, the order of preventive detention had been requested, said a spokeswoman for the regional court of the capital on Wednesday after the non-public pleadings.
The verdict is due to be pronounced on April 19th.
The 30-year-old has been accused of six rapes, one attempted rape, assault and attempted extortion.
The defendant had confessed at the start of the trial two months ago and stated that the allegations were true.
The defense pleaded for a total sentence that did not exceed ten years, the spokeswoman said.
From the point of view of the lawyers, preventive detention should not be ordered.
For weeks in June and July 2020 reports of violent attacks on women, predominantly in the southwest of Berlin, had caused great uncertainty and concern.
According to the indictment, the alleged serial rapist is said to have attacked seven young women between the ages of 14 and 27, mostly on remote routes.
The man allegedly grabbed the victims from behind, strangled them, threatened them with a screwdriver or knife, dragged them to remote areas and raped them.
In one case, the woman's cries for help, her violent resistance and the presence of a camper prevented the act from being completed.
ptz / dpa