The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Harvey Weinstein dismissed request for dismissal of two sexual assault charges

2021-07-29T23:30:08.696Z

The judge rejected the defense attorneys' assertion that the allegations against the former film producer fell under statute of limitations.



Former Hollywood star producer Harvey Weinstein was dismissed Thursday, July 29, by a Los Angeles judge over his request to dismiss two counts of sexual assault on a woman.

Harvey Weinstein, already convicted of rape in New York, was transferred last week to California, where he served as kingmaker of the cinema before his disgrace, but where he now appears in court, accused of rape and assault sex by five women.

Read also: Harvey Weinstein transferred to Los Angeles for a new trial

The judge in charge of the case rejected the defense lawyers' assertion that acts of rape and forced oral sex, which allegedly took place in a hotel room between 2004 and 2005, fell within the scope of statute of limitations .

The magistrate, however, upheld a defense request concerning a charge of sexual assault against another woman in 2010, ordering prosecutors to change their charge so that the prosecution can take its course.

The producer's attorney, Mark Werksman, told reporters outside the court after the hearing that

"a fifth of the prosecution case has been gutted

.

"

140 years in prison

A preliminary hearing in the case has been set for September 13.

69-year-old Harvey Weinstein is already serving a 23-year prison sentence in New York.

The

Shakespeare in Love

and

Pulp Fiction

producer

has pleaded not guilty to the 11 charges he faces in Los Angeles.

In the event of conviction, he could see a sentence of 140 years in prison added to the existing one.

Read also: Harvey Weinstein sentenced to a heavy sentence

Charges of sexual harassment and assault against the former Hollywood mogul came to light in 2017, and are at the root of the global #MeToo movement.

In total, nearly 90 women including actresses Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Salma Hayek have accused the producer of harassment or assault.

According to the latter, all his sexual relations were consensual.

His lawyers had tried to block the transfer to Los Angeles on medical grounds, and a judge authorized a new medical examination of Harvey Weinstein.

Last week, Mark Werksman told reporters that his client, who had attended the two hearings in Los Angeles in a wheelchair, was unable to walk because of a spinal problem.

Source: lefigaro

All life articles on 2021-07-29

You may like

News/Politics 2021-04-05T23:25:35.483Z
News/Politics 2021-06-19T21:22:19.445Z
News/Politics 2021-07-21T01:43:59.407Z

Trends 24h

Life/Entertain 2021-09-20T16:51:11.033Z
Life/Entertain 2021-09-20T17:27:18.382Z
Life/Entertain 2021-09-20T17:51:13.244Z

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy