The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Hagen: Syrian suspected terrorist is (not) in custody

2021-09-17T17:21:49.990Z

A 16-year-old is suspected of planning an attack on the synagogue in Hagen. Apparently he was in contact with the IS. According to SPIEGEL information, he was now in custody.



Enlarge image

Rescue workers in front of the synagogue in Hagen.

Photo: Markus Kümper / dpa

The suspect in the case of the alleged attack plan on the synagogue in Hagen comes into custody.

According to SPIEGEL information, this was decided by a youth judge at the Hagen district court on Friday afternoon when the 16-year-old was brought to prison.

The Public Prosecutor's Office in Düsseldorf is investigating the Syrian on suspicion of preparing a serious act of violence that is dangerous to the state. On Thursday morning, special police forces arrested the youth near his parents' apartment in downtown Hagen.

The background to the operation was a specific reference from a foreign secret service to the German security authorities. The partner service warned of a suspected Islamist in Germany. According to SPIEGEL information, the extremist is said to have spoken to a chat partner about an explosives attack on the Hagen synagogue in a monitored communication on the Telegram messenger platform. The investigation led to the 16-year-old Syrian. The reason for his possible plan is said to have been the beginning of the highest Jewish holiday, Yom Kippur. A large contingent of police secured the place of worship. The officers did not find explosives during searches.

The investigations by the state security officers are now based primarily on the suspect's messenger communication that has been evaluated so far. According to SPIEGEL information, the Syrian was in contact with a suspected ISIS instructor via Telegram. The Arabic-speaking man, who appears on Telegram under a battle name, is said to be a bomb-building expert for the terrorist militia, according to security sources. The German intelligence services apparently do not yet know who exactly is behind the pseudonym.

According to SPIEGEL information, a chat between August 17 and 29 is particularly relevant for investigators.

In it, the young person and the alleged IS man are said to have exchanged details about the construction of an explosive device and the materials to be used.

When the instructor asked what the aim of his planned attack was, the 16-year-old is said to have replied that he had a synagogue in his sights.

The more detailed description of the building is said to have matched the church in Hagen.

From the chat it can apparently be concluded that the two Islamists already knew each other before August 17th - and possibly communicated via other channels that had not yet been identified even after August 29th.

According to SPIEGEL information, the suspect youngster traveled to Germany via Beirut in the spring of 2015 - as part of the so-called family reunification. At this point in time, his father had been living in Hagen with protection status for a few months and was officially recognized as a refugee a little later.

Source: spiegel

All life articles on 2021-09-17

You may like

Life/Entertain 2021-09-17T17:21:49.990Z
Life/Entertain 2021-09-25T07:04:44.238Z
Life/Entertain 2021-09-17T14:06:43.053Z

Trends 24h

Life/Entertain 2021-10-11T15:26:43.029Z

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy