Truck at the crime scene in Limburg (October 7, 2019)
Photo: Thorsten Wagner / dpa
Two years after the truck attack with 18 injured, the regional court in Limburg, Hesse, has to renegotiate the case.
The Federal Court of Justice (BHG) overturned the total sentence imposed due to a possible legal error and thus partially granted the offender's appeal.
The general conviction of the man for attempted murder was left untouched by the Karlsruhe Supreme Court with its decision.
The sentence of nine years imposed in November 2020 is based on the assumption that the Syrian insidiously captured the defenselessness of his victims at a glance, according to the BGH decision.
However, this murder feature could not be substantiated.
Only the "killing with a dangerous substance" has been proven - another feature of murder.
The BGH had already made the decision in July, but only communicated it now.
Last week, a spokeswoman for the BGH said that no decision had yet been made on the matter.
The trial against the then 33-year-old had started in September 2020.
In October 2019, the Syrian is said to have deliberately driven into stationary cars at a traffic light crossing with a previously hijacked truck and pushed them onto each other.
According to the presiding judge, the fact that no one died was "an extraordinarily fortunate coincidence."
During the trial, the defendant referred to memory gaps, traumatic experiences in his home country and an extremely strong effect of a recently smoked joint.
File number: 4 StR 53/21; 2 Ks 6170 Js 245370/19
File number: 4 StR 53/21;
2 Ks 6170 Js 245370/19
fdi / dpa