(ANSA) - ROME, OCTOBER 13 - A man made a massacre this evening in Kongsberg, in the south-east of Norway: armed with a bow and arrows, he began to target passers-by in different areas of the town. The toll, still provisional and unofficial, is at least four dead, including an officer shot in the back.
The police, who intervened in force, arrested a person, claiming that he was the perpetrator of the attack and that he was alone. At the moment the hypothesis of the terrorist attack is not excluded, even if according to the investigators it is still too early to affirm it. In this context, the internal intelligence services have in the meantime been alerted, as some sources report. According to broadcaster TV2, the attacker also had other weapons, including a knife.
"We can unfortunately confirm that there are several injured and unfortunately also many dead," said local police officer Oyvind Aas, without adding further details and reiterating that "the man who committed this act was arrested by the police and, according to our information, there is only one person involved. "
The attack took place shortly before 18:30 in the center of the town 85 km from Oslo, and in a short time dozens of emergency vehicles arrived on the spot, including ambulances, police cars that began patrolling the area also from above. with helicopters, while authorities asked residents to stay indoors. Police said "there are several crime scenes": according to some reports, a supermarket near a residential area and a student dormitory. Several neighborhoods close to the attack area were therefore isolated with barriers while a team of bomb squads arrived on the spot.
According to the broadcaster Nrk, which cites information collected on social network, the attacker had already anticipated the intention to carry out a massacre with a post on his YouTube channel, also giving a demonstration of his ability with a bow and arrow.