Since Tuesday, in Gironde and in the Landes, 6,800 ha have been devastated and 10,000 people have been evacuated, including 2,000 in the Landes... some for the second time.
Summer is particularly cruel with this territory, ravaged by flames once again after the terrible fires of July.
After seeing the damage on the spot this Thursday, Prime Minister Élisabeth Borne announced that the European Commission would mobilize planes from the European force to support France in addition to the support from various EU countries, announced by Emmanuel Macron.
Firefighters say they are dealing with a "never-seen" fire.
Here are some images of a disaster that will leave a lasting impression.
1. Nearly 60,000 ha went up in smoke in 2022, half of which between Landes and Gironde
GIRONDE FIRES, RESUMPTION OF FIRE IN THE LANDIRAS SECTOR WHERE THOUSANDS OF HECTARES WERE BURNT IN JULY, HERE AT HOSTENSPHOTO LP/ARNAUD JOURNOIS Arnaud Journois
2. In Gironde, 1,100 firefighters are engaged in the field
FIRE IN GIRONDE / RESUME OF "L'INCENDIE DE LANDIRAS" IN GIRONDE HERE AT BELIN BELIETPHOTO LP/ARNAUD JOURNOIS Arnaud Journois
3. Faced with the progression of the fires, ten Canadair and five Dash planes take turns
PHOTO LP/ARNAUD JOURNOIS Arnaud Journois
4. "10 football fields per minute go up in smoke", according to the spokesperson for civil security
Thibaud MORITZ /AFP AFP or licensors
5. Firefighters are trying to neutralize the resumption of fires that ravaged La-Teste-de-Buch in July
© LP/ARNAUD JOURNOIS Arnaud Journois
6. Residents had to leave in a hurry, turning Belin-Béliet into a ghost town
©PHOTOPQR/LE PARISIEN/LP / Arnaud Journois;
FIRE IN GIRONDE / RESUMPTION OF "L'INCENDIE DE LANDIRAS" IN GIRONDE HERE AT BELIN BELIETPHOTO LP/ARNAUD JOURNOIS Several thousand people have been evacuated in southwestern France because of a major forest fire.
The fire rages in the Landes and Gironde departments, where there was also a large forest fire last month.
7. After the passage of the fire on Thursday, the material damage is significant in Belin-Béliet
FIRE IN GIRONDE / RESUMPTION OF "THE FIRE OF LANDIRAS" IN GIRONDE / BURNED HOUSE IN THE HAMLET AMBELIET BELONGING TO THE COMMUNE OF BELIN BELIETPHOTO LP/ARNAUD JOURNOIS Arnaud Journois
8. Fire crews monitor outbreaks and restarts near Saint-Magne
Philippe LOPEZ / AFP AFP or licensors
9. Residents gather in the municipality of Hostens and wait to be evacuated
LP/ARNAUD JOURNOIS Arnaud Journois
10. Élisabeth Borne and Gérald Darmanin intend to demonstrate the "total mobilization of State services"
PHILIPPE LOPEZ / POOL / AFP