If you want to go sightseeing and vacation cheaply, you should orient yourself towards Portugal or Lithuania. The two capitals are the cheapest in Europe, according to a ranking.
Berlin – First it was Corona, then it was inflation: Travel, especially on a budget, has become difficult for many people these days. Nevertheless, there are still particularly cheap destinations that can be visited even on a smaller budget.
|Population||504,718 (2016, UN)|
To this end, the British company Post Office Travel Money publishes a ranking of 35 European cities every year. This time, for the first time, the Portuguese capital Lisbon cut off as a cheap destination.
European City Ranking: These factors were compared and made Lisbon the top city trip destination
For the ranking, the company took a close look at basic tourist promotions for consumers and compared 12 cost factors: a cup of coffee in a café, a bottle of beer in a bar, a soft drink, a glass of wine, a three-course meal for two, the airport or train transfer, public transport for 48 hours, a sightseeing bus tour, historical sights, a museum visit, a gallery visit and two nights in 3-star accommodation a weekend for two people.
Lisbon in Portugal is worth a visit with its sights such as the Torre de Belém. It is also the cheapest city destination in Europe. © Imago (Kreiszeitung.de montage)
Overall, Lisbon scored best of all 35 cities, capitals and destinations far from mass tourism compared. The costs mentioned are only about 224.76 pounds (258.58 euros). However, Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania, follows right behind with a calculated cost of 225.01 pounds for a weekend for two.
The complete city ranking with places 1 to 35:
- 1. Lisbon, Portugal (£224.76 / €258.58)
- 2. Vilnius, Lithuania (225.01 pounds / 258.87 euros)
- 3. Krakow, Poland (250.91 pounds / 288.66 euros)
- 4. Athens, Greece (262.22 pounds / 301.76 euros)
- 5. Riga, Latvia (284.99 pounds / 327.87 euros)
- 6. Porto, Portugal (£325.30 / €374.25)
- 7. Zagreb, Croatia (329.72 pounds / 379.33 euros)
- 8. Budapest, Hungary (330.53 pounds / 380.26 euros)
- 9. Warsaw, Poland (£330.95 / €380.75)
- 10. Lille, France (332.11 pounds / 382.08 euros)
- 11. Bratislava, Slovakia (333.51 pounds / 383.69 euros)
- 12. Tallinn, Estonia (336.73 pounds / 387.40 euros)
- 13. Prague, Czech Republic (362.13 pounds / 416.62 euros)
- 14. Cardiff, Wales (£386.80 / €445.00)
- 15. Salzburg, Austria (408.71 pounds / 470.21 euros)
- 16. Dubrovnik, Croatia (409.70 pounds / 471.34 euros)
- 17. Helsinki, Finland (£460.98 / €530.34)
- 18. Vienna, Austria (479.05 pounds / 551.13 euros)
- 19. Bruges, Belgium (£485.33 / €558.35)
- 20. Nice, France (489.83 pounds / 563.53 euros)
- 21. Rome, Italy (512.54 pounds / 589.66 euros)
- 22. Barcelona, Spain (517.68 pounds / 595.57 euros) - by the way, the favorite destination for city trips of the Germans
- 23. Stockholm, Sweden (526.46 pounds / 605.67 euros)
- 24. Madrid, Spain (531.50 pounds / 611.47 euros)
- 25. Edinburgh, Scotland (534.70 pounds / 615.15 euros)
- 26. Berlin, Germany (552.70 pounds / 635.86 euros)
- 27. Geneva, Switzerland (552.80 pounds / 635.98 euros)
- 28. London, England (560.70 pounds / 645.06 euros)
- 29. Belfast, Northern Ireland (561.55 pounds / 646.04 euros)
- 30. Florence, Italy (580.29 pounds / 667.60 euros)
- 31. Copenhagen, Denmark (587.08 pounds / 675.41 euros)
- 32. Dublin, Ireland (£600.99 / €691.42)
- 33. Paris, France (604.49 pounds / 695.41 euros)
- 34. Venice, Italy (687.06 pounds / 790.44 euros)
- 35. Amsterdam, Netherlands (727.07 pounds / 836.47 euros)
Deregistering from the broadcasting fee: How you can exempt yourself from the obligation to pay contributions
Only one currywurst a month: New dietary guidelines planned for all citizens
Frozen pizzas in comparison: Expert chooses clear winner – hands off Aldi and Rewe
Driver's license change from 2023 - new regulations for every driver
Fighting moths: these simple tricks to keep the insects away
Fancy a voyage of discovery?
Particularly cheap, particularly expensive: What activities cost on European city trips
Lisbon is therefore in 2023st place for 1. In recent years, Eastern European countries have always been at the top of the ranking. However, since the average price increase in Lisbon is only 2 percent compared to the previous year, it overtook its competitors this year. Last year's winner Athens is now in 4th place and is one of four Western European cities in the top 10 together with Lisbon, Porto and Lille.
Amsterdam, on the other hand, is more expensive than ever before. The accommodation alone costs twice as much as the whole trip to Lisbon and cultural activities are not cheap either. Culture is also expensive in Dubrovnik, Vienna, Florence and Barcelona. In Dublin, on the other hand, you can enjoy cultural activities on a small budget and if you are a fan of museums and galleries, you should travel to the UK. Admission there is free.