Healthy snacks are not only delicious, they also keep you full longer - especially on hot days, they are ideal for the small hunger in between.
Kassel – Especially in summer, when the days get longer and the temperatures approach the 30-degree mark, the small hunger in between quickly becomes noticeable. Heavy food is then hardly to be thought of. Nevertheless, people tend to reach for unhealthy treats that don't satiate for too long anyway. Especially in the heat, it is difficult to do without chilled snacks such as ice cream or sugary drinks. However, these often contain too much sugar and fat. However, there are certain foods that help against constant cravings. This not only saves you appetite and cravings, but also a lot of calories.
But there are light, refreshing summer snacks that are not heavy on the stomach, but still fill you up - without being sugar bombs.
Especially on hot days, the body needs light summer snacks that refresh and keep you full longer (symbolic image) © Ivana Kojic/ Imago
Summer: Five healthy snacks that are ideal in the heat
As the fitness magazine fitforfun.de writes, ideal summer snacks are those that contain a mixture of proteins, healthy fats such as almonds, olives, or avocado, and little refined sugar. Because this combination provides a lot of energy, does not drive up the blood sugar level and the feeling of satiety lasts longer.
According to information from fitforfun.de, carbohydrates in the form of berries, watermelon, apples and carrots are optimal because they have a low glycemic index that has a minimal effect on blood sugar levels. According to the science magazine weltderwunder.de, these are the top five healthy snacks for the summer:
- Watermelons: Watermelons are the ideal refreshment in summer. They are extremely healthy because their pulp contains citrulline. This active ingredient ensures, among other things, a dilation of the blood vessels and are a real health booster.
- Apricots: They contain vitamins B and C, as well as potassium, calcium and phosphorus. As a result, they strengthen nails and hair. In addition, they are rich in beta-carotene and vitamin E and thus ensure that the connective tissue is protected and the skin remains firm. With just 22 kcal each, apricots are the perfect healthy snack for in between.
- Chocolate: Contrary to many prejudices, chocolate not only tastes good, but is also healthy. It contains over 300 ingredients. It inhibits inflammation and is a natural antihypertensive. At the same time, it increases the release of endorphins in the body, which leads to natural feelings of happiness. It's better to go for dark chocolate than whole milk. Thanks to its high cocoa content, chocolate has benefits for the cardiovascular system, as it can lower blood pressure and, on top of that, it has a cell-protecting effect on the body.
- Blackberries: Above all, the berries are good for the skin. The ellagic acid it contains helps to neutralize free radicals, which are one of the main causes of skin aging. The contained vitamin C protects against cell damage. In addition, blackberries contain fiber and can thus stimulate digestion.
- Mangoes: There are over 1000 varieties in total. Mangoes are one of the most eaten fruits in the world. What they all have in common: they have a high proportion of beta-carotene, vitamin C and vitamin A in the pulp. These strengthen the immune system. In addition, the vitamin cocktail contained in the fruit is said to help in cell renewal and strengthening the optic nerve.
Light summer snacks can therefore support a healthy diet. A fruit salad in particular can be easily and quickly ridden by and taken with you on the go. (Vivian Werg)