Status: 21.09.2023, 10:25 a.m.
By: Sophie Kluß
A no longer understands the world: after nine years of being allowed to spend with her family, she is handed over to the shelter because of a puppy. Nevertheless, the senior was able to experience a happy ending.
Because of a new puppy, a dog grandma is handed over to her old family at the shelter after almost ten years. Years in which she loved and protected the children of the family and had always made sure that they did not get into trouble, as TikTok user @wellbehaved1 writes on the social media platform. The "Shelter Mommy", as the shelter mom calls herself, recently posted the sad video and has received almost 700,000 clicks on it so far.
Faithful dog: "She wanted to wait for her at the door"
The fact that she is simply handed over to the shelter cannot be understood by the dog grandma, who had lived with her old owners since birth. Dejected, she waits at the door and in her kennel to be picked up again – but no one comes. "Her heart is broken and she doesn't understand the world anymore. She was so faithful," @wellbehaved1 writes in the sad clip.
You can find even more exciting animal topics in Landtiere.de's free partner newsletter, which you can subscribe to right here.
But her happy ending is approaching: A dog lover named Bobbi adopts the elderly dog and gives her "the best life." Exuberantly, the cute duo finally romps through the snow. In the comments, @wellbehaved1 enlightens interested users: "She has the best family. The lady who runs the rescue station that took her in kept her. She couldn't let them go."
Rescue from the shelter: "Adopt a senior"
The TikToker concludes her video with an appeal to users: "Adopt a senior," the shelter employee writes in the credits. Some good reasons why the adoption of an elderly four-legged friend from the shelter should be considered, the platform for dog lovers Thefarmersdog.com:
Largest dog in the world deceased - how old can big dogs get?
When two dogs are fighting: to intervene or not – how do I react correctly?
Expensive excursion: You go surfing with Python and have to pay a fine – What rules apply to us?
Flat noses and short legs: when dogs suffer for ideals
Hyperactive or clingy: Five signs that your cat is lonely
Fancy a voyage of discovery?
- You are giving a dog a second chance. Love and appreciation are assured: "There is nothing better than the look on a dog's face, the swing in his hips and the happy wagging of his tail when he realizes that he is leaving the shelter and going to people who love him and will take care of him.
- Elderly four-legged friends are usually more relaxed, less complicated, satisfied with less and yet offer their humans company. Instead of spending time on elaborate training, you can focus on building a deep relationship with the dog – or even teach him tricks with a little patience.
- Older dogs are usually already well-behaved and house-trained and are often already used to being alone from time to time.
- Dog grandmas and grandpas have fully trained personalities. So you know what you're getting into when you adopt a puppy, unlike puppy adoption. Incidentally, it is the same with its size.
- Even if you theoretically adopt a senior dog, a 9-year-old dog, for example, might still have plenty of energy for adventure. On the other hand, older dogs in particular are also satisfied with rather short walks and extended naps.
- The education of puppies requires a lot of time, patience and energy. With an older dog, you start directly into the pleasant part of your life with a dog.
User comments: "A pet is a lifelong commitment!"
Although the cute video has now received almost 90,000 likes, users are shocked by the owners' decision to hand over their dog grandma to the shelter:
- "My dogs are 12 and 17 years old, so it would never occur to me to give them away. 😢"
- "How can you do that? 😢 My dog died a few months ago at the age of 15 and would have liked to have had more time with him."
- "Mine is 11 years old. And I'm there for them until my last breath. I love her more than anything."
- "It's so terrible, but what a beautiful ending. I'm sure she's getting better."
- "This is heartless. 😢 I am so glad that she has found her permanent home and is happy. ❤️"