Status: 22.09.2023, 04:45 a.m.
By: Franziska Kaindl
The onion can also be the star on the baking sheet. Try the classic onion pie, which is perfect for the autumn season.
Summertime is coming to an end, but you don't have to be sad – autumn also has its charm: When nature wraps itself in a colourful dress of leaves and the first pumpkins ripen in the garden instead of strawberries, it is also time to adapt the cuisine to the new season. And what could be better than a delicious onion pie from the tray?
Onion pie recipe: ingredients for shortcrust pastry and toppings
Try the delicious onion pie from the tray - perfect for the autumn season. (Symbolic image) © agefotostock/Imago
For the shortcrust pastry:
- 300 grams of flour
- 175 grams of cold butter
- 60 milliliters of cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
For the topping:
- 700 grams of onions
- 125 grams of bacon
- 2 eggs
- 150 grams of grated Emmental cheese
- 50 grams of butter
- 200 grams of sour cream
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
Don't miss it!
Everything you need to know about cooking and baking can be found in our weekly gourmet newsletter.
Tastes so good that you have to keep eating: bake the "eat yourself stupid" sheet cake
Lightning-fast stir-fry with fresh pointed cabbage – no meat at all
Original recipe: Men's cake with bittersweet chocolate couverture and creamy wine filling
Quick apple turnovers from the waffle iron with puff pastry and cinnamon
It's all about the order: what you always did wrong when preparing salad
Fancy a voyage of discovery?
How to bake the delicious autumn classic onion pie
- For the dough: Knead the flour with the butter (it is best to cut it into pieces beforehand) and add a pinch of salt and sugar. Subsequently, the cold water is gradually mixed in. Knead the dough until it thickens, but don't overdo it – if it gets too warm, it will fall apart.
- The finished dough is wrapped in cling film and placed in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- Then roll it out on a work surface that you have previously dusted with flour – about the size of your baking sheet.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and place the shortcrust pastry on top. Press the edges upwards.
- For the topping: Finely slice the onions and heat them with the butter in a pan until translucent.
- Now cut the bacon into cubes and add it to the pan for about five minutes as well. Then remove the pan from the heat and let the onions and bacon cool for a while.
- Mix the eggs with the sour cream and add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix everything with the cooled onion mass.
- Put the topping on top of the dough and sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Now put the cake in the preheated oven and bake it for about 40 minutes at 200 degrees bottom/top heat.
Once the onion pie is baked until golden brown, you can remove it from the oven and let it cool. But it tastes best while it is still lukewarm.