Status: 27/09/2023, 16:09 p.m.
By: Judith Braun
It is true that a stroke is an acute condition. However, this can announce itself long in advance with some warning signs.
In the case of a stroke, a disturbance of blood circulation leads to a sudden failure of certain regions of the brain. In Germany, the disease affects about 270,000 people every year. Together with heart disease and cancer, it is also one of the most common causes of death in this country. An indication of an increased risk of stroke can be the deterioration of cognitive abilities. According to a study, they announce a stroke at least ten years before it occurs.
Warning signs of a stroke can appear as early as ten years earlier
Women are more likely to be affected by stroke than men. Sometimes harbingers announce it well in advance. © Monkey Business 2/IMAGO
- Study results show that stroke patients show signs up to ten years before the disease.
- A long-term study by the Erasmus MC University Medical Center in Rotterdam from 1990 to 2016 also found that harbingers and warning signs can occur years before the first stroke.
- For the study, 14,000 participants aged 45 and over were screened for cognitive and physical changes every four years. Of the participants, 1,662 suffered their first stroke during the study period.
- It turned out that the stroke patients already showed signs up to ten years before the disease. For example, the participants with stroke were found to have a more rapid mental decline, which led to a greater decline in their cognitive abilities – compared to the healthy participants.
- The stroke patients also had difficulty performing everyday tasks two to three years before the stroke.
- Previous studies have suggested that the disease could be recognizable four to six years earlier by a deterioration in cognitive abilities and reduced everyday functioning.
- However, the results of the Dutch researchers suggest that the disease can announce itself even earlier.
- The rapid loss of cognitive abilities and daily performance before a stroke could thus indicate brain damage.
- Women, people with a lower level of education and those with a dementia-related gene are particularly susceptible to strokes.
- Persistent memory impairment and cognitive deterioration in middle adulthood could also signal a high risk of stroke.
- Early detection of alarm signals can minimize the risk of stroke through therapy, medication and lifestyle changes.
Don't miss it: You can find everything you need to know about health in the newsletter from our partner 24vita.de.
This article contains only general information on the respective health topic and is therefore not intended for self-diagnosis, treatment or medication. It is in no way a substitute for a visit to the doctor. Unfortunately, individual questions about clinical pictures may not be answered by our editors.
This article was created with the help of machines and carefully reviewed by editor Judith Braun before publication.