Status: 03.10.2023, 08:06 a.m.
By: Laura Knops
In addition to the content, the right form also plays an important role when applying for a new job. What needs to be taken into account.
With the countless applications that land on recruiters' desks every day, it's important to leave a lasting impression. A clear structure, in which the most important stages in professional life jump directly into the eye, is clearly an advantage. Applicants should already consider a few things when formatting their CV.
X-Y-Z formula: Optimal formatting of CV and application
Your strengths as well as important stages of professional life should be visible at first glance in your CV. © Westend61/Imago
The tech giant Google also relies on the well-known X-Y-Z formula: "Accomplished [X] as measured by [Y], by doing [Z]", which in German means something like "Fulfills [X], measured by [Y], by executing [Z].". But how exactly can you implement these requirements in your own CV?
Don't miss out: You can find everything you need to know about jobs and careers in the career newsletter of our partner Merkur.de.
"The most important thing is to have the most precise and clear formulation possible in the application, which follows the scheme: "I was able to reach X, relative to Y, because I did Z," reveals former Google personnel manager Lazlo Bock to the New York Times. Applicants should, for example, write which tasks they were able to carry out in which time due to special expertise through their studies.
Writing an application: What to consider when formatting
In order to make the application clear, bullet points can help. These make it easier for the recruiter to skim through the application and also make them want to take a closer look at where it is particularly exciting. Individual career stations and strengths thus become clear at first glance. On the other hand, applicants should avoid long blocks of text and nested sentences at all costs.
When it comes to formatting, many applicants still make mistakes. You should therefore pay particular attention to the following points when creating your CV:
- Structure: A clear structure with clean paragraphs makes it easier for the recruiter to make the selection.
- Writing: The resume should be written in a uniform font in black color.
- Spelling and grammar: In order to avoid mistakes, applicants should definitely check the CV several times and have it proofread by friends or family. Online tools can also help with this.
- Format: The PDF file format is platform-independent and works on all devices. Applicants should only choose a different format if this is explicitly required.
- Left: Links to projects relevant to the application must be included in the CV.
- Order: If you have already completed a number of stages in your academic and professional career, you should first start with professional success. This is followed by training and university degrees.
If you want to score points, you can individualize your application to the company in question. Applicants should make sure to adapt the content to the job posting. While relevant workstations belong in the resume, unimportant passages can be omitted. Mass applications attract negative attention from personnel officers. There are also plus points if the – short and concise – CV fits on one page.