Status: 04.12.2023, 08:05 a.m.
In northern German cuisine, this recipe for housewife-style matjes is a real classic. © Simply Tasty
The ideal hangover breakfast on New Year's Day.
During my training, there were one or two mornings when you didn't show up at work quite fit after a night of drinking. Luckily, there was a fish department at my workplace that had the perfect hangover breakfast ready according to real fisherman's tradition: matjes housewife style.
And if you're thinking that's not for you, then you've never eaten a juicy, salty matjes with a sweet, creamy sauce after a night of partying. By the way, it was also a custom to eat a Rollmops. For the very brave gourmets, there was a fresh oyster for breakfast. It works wonders. Source: Trust me!
These are the ingredients you'll need:
- 200 g yoghurt
- 50 g mayonnaise
- 20 g mustard
- 200 ml whipped cream
- 0.5 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 100 g pickles, cut into strips
- 70 g onion, cut into strips (equivalent to one small onion)
- 100 g apple, cut into strips
- 300 g pickled matjes fillets
- Parsley, chopped
The preparation is very simple:
This recipe for housewife-style matjes is a classic from traditional cuisine. © Simply Tasty
You should try these classics at least once:
- Pork tenderloin in a creamy leek-mushroom sauce was already a visit to grandparents.
- Only a four-cheese sauce can be better than three: Pasta Quattro Formaggi always works.
- For this moist and chocolaty red wine cake, you'll love to open a bottle of wine.
Poppy seed marzipan cake – a moist bundt cake for every day
Christmas cake made of chocolate and cinnamon – quick and easy to make
Ten Cookie Baking Mistakes You Should Avoid
Margarine in the Öko-Test: Only one convinces – many contaminated with mineral oil
Fruity alternative for the holidays: delicious recipe for sour cream tangerine cake
Fancy a voyage of discovery?
Are you always looking for new and delicious recipe ideas? Then sign up for the Einfach Tasty newsletter quickly and easily and let us inspire you.