The Israeli army has firmly entrenched itself with tanks and troops in Khan Yunis, a key Hamas city in the southern Gaza Strip, widening the offensive. At the same time, it took control of two other strongholds of the Islamist faction in Jabalya, in the north, and in Shuyaia, east of Gaza City, in the center of the Palestinian enclave. Since the end of last week's pauses, fighting has intensified in the south, while UN Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Martin Griffiths has sounded the alarm about a situation that has now become "apocalyptic". Where, he denounced, civilians are forced to make "one impossible choice after another" in a territory where "no place is safe" and "no one is safe". A hell that also concerns the Israeli hostages, who according to Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu "will be difficult to bring home".
The diary of the day - December 5 Netanyahu to the families of the kidnapped: It is not possible to get all the hostages back'
The first Israeli tanks were seen this morning in the center of Khan Yunis, where the leader of Hamas in the Strip, Yahya Sinwar, is believed to be hiding. Then they blocked the road that connects the city to Rafah, close to the border with Egypt. The commander of Israel's Southern Front, General Yaron Finkelman, explained that it is "in the middle of the most intense days since the beginning of the ground operation in terms of terrorists killed, firefights and the use of ground and air firepower. We intend to continue to strike and achieve our results." In the stronghold of Jabalya, Israeli troops raided Hamas' internal security command center and found "weapons and maps." They then destroyed positions of the Nukhba, the elite unit responsible for the attack on the kibbutzim on October 7. "We have moved into the third phase of the ground operation," said Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi, "and we have secured many Hamas strongholds in northern Gaza. We are now operating against its strongholds in the south."
Video Gaza, wounded arrive non-stop at Khan Yunis hospital
The strategy is to increasingly fragment Hamas' territorial continuity in the Gaza Strip, isolating the militants. But of course, civilians are also paying the price for this. UNRWA, the UN agency for Palestinian refugees that has reported the deaths of 130 of its employees in the Gaza Strip since the beginning of the conflict, said more than a million displaced Palestinians are expected to arrive in Rafah. "The necessary conditions to bring aid to the people of Gaza do not exist. If possible, an even more hellish scenario is about to open up, in which humanitarian operations may not be able to respond." The head of the Shuhada al Aqsa hospital in Deir al-Balah (in the center of the Strip) Eyad Al-Jabri said that the facility has received in the last few hours "45 killed by an Israeli shelling on the homes of three families" in the city.
Video Gaza, an Israeli airstrike hits Khan Yunis
The dead in Gaza, according to the Hamas-run Ministry of Health, have now exceeded 16,16 (248,138). There remains the issue of the approximately <> Israeli hostages whose fate is becoming more and more complicated with each passing day. Today, in a very tense atmosphere, the war cabinet, chaired by Benyamin Netanyahu, met with the families of the abductees. "At present," the prime minister admitted, "it is not possible to bring them all back. Can anyone really think that if this were an option, someone would reject it?" But the position did not please the families who are calling for the immediate resumption of negotiations with Hamas at "any cost". Which for the Palestinian faction, as one of its representatives clarified to Reuters, means "the end of the aggression against Gaza". A spokesman for the Israeli Ministry of Health told the Knesset how Hamas gave the hostages tranquilizers and other "vitamins" to "appear happy" during the escort from captivity to Israeli territory.
Video Gaza, Italian mission for the setting up of a field hospital
All rights reserved © Copyright ANSA