A car bomb attack left at least five people dead and 25 injured on Thursday morning, 5 September, in central Kabul. The Taliban, who are on the verge of finding a peace deal with the United States, have claimed responsibility for the attack. It targeted the tightly controlled district of Shash-Darak, home to the headquarters of the Afghan secret service and is located near the green zone, which hosts the embassy.Read also Sixteen dead and more than 100 wounded in an explosion in Kabul
A hospital director told Agence France-Presse (AFP) that civilians and security personnel were among the dead and wounded. The attack took place near a security post, which squares the neighborhood. "I went out just after the attack, the roadside was covered with debris and body , told AFP the owner of a photo studio located near the scene of the explosion. I could hear injured people screaming, calling their mother and their loved ones. "
Taliban in talks with Washington
The Afghan capital had already been on Monday, the scene of a violent attack that left 16 dead and a hundred wounded. The suicide bombing has been claimed by the Taliban as they have been negotiating for months with the United States for an agreement to end an eighteen-year-old conflict. The US special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad was at the beginning of the week in Kabul.
This agreement must allow, among other things, the withdrawal of a large number of US military from the country. In exchange, the Taliban would pledge to prevent any activity by terrorist groups in the territory as well as engage in a dialogue with the current government. But the Islamic group has launched this weekend an offensive to try to seize the strategic city of Kunduz, and an operation in Pul-i-Khumri, the capital of the neighboring province of Baghlan in the north. They have been rejected, according to the authorities.Read the analysis: "The agreement between the United States and the Taliban is a curious give-and-take"