Following the alleged attacks by Iran on key oil refineries in Saudi Arabia, the conflict threatens to escalate again. But that would have a devastating impact on the global economy, warns Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman now.
"If the world does not take strong and determined measures to deter Iran, then we will see further escalations that threaten the interests of the world," said the Crown Prince in an interview broadcast on Sunday by US broadcaster CBC News. "Oil supply will be cut off and oil prices will rise to unimaginably high numbers that we have not seen in our lives."
In mid-September, an important oil plant had been attacked in Saudi Arabia. Germany, France and the UK followed the US assessment last week that Iran was responsible for the attack.
Attacks on oil plants have been "stupid"
The attacks on the oil plants called Mohammed as "stupid". Originally, the Iran-supported Houthi rebels in Yemen were known for the attack, which was considered by the US, however, as a false confession. The government in Tehran, however, rejects the allegations.
The attack did not hit the heart of the Saudi Arabian energy industry, but the heart of the global energy industry, bin Salman said. He added, "A political and peaceful solution is much better than a military one." Everyone wanted a new deal with Iran, but the government did not want to go to the negotiating table. If Iran stopped supporting the Houthis in Yemen, a political solution would be much easier to achieve - today rather than tomorrow.
Saudi Arabia joined the war in southern neighboring Yemen in March 2015 with other Arab states. The Sunni kingdom wants to push back the influence of its Shiite arch rival, Iran, who supports the Houthis.