Interior Minister Horst Seehofer has been affected by the attack in Halle. "This brutal crime is a shame on our country," he said at a news conference on Thursday. In view of German history, "that should not have happened," he said. One must face the truth: "The threat posed by anti-Semitism, right-wing extremism and right-wing terrorism is very high". The violence and weapon affinity in the group is also very high.
Seehofer announced to increase the security forces. It is about a few hundred posts. Right-wing terrorism and hate speech should be countered. Alone, the monitoring on the Internet is very staff-intensive, said Seehofer. This federal government will do everything to ensure that the Jews in Germany can live without fear, said Seehofer in the direction of Josef Schuster of the Central Council of Jews. Seehofer repeatedly emphasized: "Never again".
In addition to the Interior Minister, the Prime Minister of Saxony-Anhalt, Reiner Haseloff (CDU), had its say. He emphasized that the society in the country would not be brought apart by the act, but that it would hold together. He announced that Jewish institutions should be better protected in the future.
Previously Seehofer had already thought in Halle of the victims and laid flowers in front of the synagogue. After his visit to the synagogue, he silently went to the nearby doner kebab, where the perpetrator had shot a 20-year-old man on Wednesday.
The perpetrator Stephan Balliet had on conviction of the investigators on Wednesday trying to penetrate into a synagogue in Halle. His attempt failed, after which he shot dead two people in front of the synagogue and then in a nearby snack and injured at least two others. (Read more about the current developments here in the news blog.)
Investigators and the German government rate the attack as a right-wing extremist terrorist attack. "What we experienced yesterday was terror," said Attorney General Peter Frank. The perpetrator's goal is to cause a massacre in the synagogue and to achieve a worldwide effect. According to Justice Minister Christine Lambrecht, the 27-year-old shooter was a single offender with antisemitic and right-wing extremist motives.
According to Frank, a total of four kilos of explosives were secured in numerous explosive devices in the suspected offender's car. The alleged perpetrator Stephan B. is accused of double murder and attempted murder in nine cases.