- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in a new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in a new window)
- Click here to share on LinkedIn (Opens in a new window)
- Click to email a friend (Opens in a new window)
(CNN Spanish) - The Mayor of the Metropolitan Region, Karla Rubilar, confirmed that there were deaths during the curfew in force in Santiago, Chile.
According to preliminary information, the three dead would have died in a fire in a supermarket in the commune of San Bernardo. Rubilar said the authorities "are collecting more details."
MIRA: President Sebastián Piñera suspends the increase in Santiago metro rates
Karla Rubilar appeared this morning at a press conference with Chilean Defense Minister Alberto Espina and Interior Minister Andrés Chadwick at the headquarters of the Army Operations Command. Minister Espina announced that 1500 new soldiers will join the already 7941 cadets who are currently on the streets of Santiago, Valparaíso and Concepción; cities that remain in total curfew until 7:00 am on Sunday, local time.
(CLAUDIO REYES / AFP via Getty Images)
Espina said the military is already installed in the 136 stations of the Santiago Metro and 46 buildings of critical structure (such as water, electricity, basic services), fuel plants and airports, among others. The chief of defense also said that the military "will use all their powers conferred on them by law at this time," adding that they "have been caused by criminals, and our soldiers have not fallen into the game."
MIRA: Hundreds of detainees and wounded after riots in Santiago due to increased subway ticket
For its part, the Mayor of the Metropolitan Region, Karla Rubilar called on the population: “We need help to talk again, to talk again. We are literally destroying our house. ” Asked about the death toll so far, Rubilar said: “We have no official confirmation yet, and when we have them, we will make them known”
Previously, Chilean Interior Minister Andrés Chadwick announced a total curfew in the city of Concepcion from 2 in the morning. With this new decision Santiago de Chile, Valparaíso, Concepción and the entire Santiago Metropolitan region will be under Touch of Queda until 7:00 am (local time) this Sunday.