- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in a new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in a new window)
- Click here to share on LinkedIn (Opens in a new window)
- Click to email a friend (Opens in a new window)
(CNN) - For those who plan a vacation for next year and wonder which countries are the safest, a risk map published by a travel safety organization can help.
International SOS, a travel security services company, launched its Travel Risk Map for next year.
Based on medical and travel safety risks, including infectious diseases and political violence, its coordinated color map has five categories, ranging from “insignificant” to “extreme” risk.
In their predictions for 2020, the safest places to travel are concentrated in the northern hemisphere.
- LOOK: PHOTOS | The best trips for 2020, according to National Geographic
They are Denmark, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Slovenia, Luxembourg and Switzerland.
Architecture in Copenhagen, Denmark. Credit: Shutterstock
The places considered most dangerous are more dispersed throughout the world and include Afghanistan, Central African Republic, Somalia and Syria.
Some countries do not fit into a single category and therefore receive a mixed rating.
Mexico and Colombia are examples of countries with mixed ratings: some regions of both countries have a medium risk, while others constitute a high risk.
- READ: Know the ranking of the five best places to travel in New Year
Lake Bled, Slovenia. Credit: Shutterstock
A spokesperson for International SOS told CNN that the map is designed around its customers.
They added: "Obviously it is a general reflection of location risks, but we advise consumers to investigate their destinations as much as possible."