The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Mila, threatened after critics of Islam, to return to high school

2020-02-08T09:13:11.341Z

The girl from Isère has been out of school since January 20 following death threats.



Mila is going back to school. The 16-year-old girl from Isère had been out of school since January 20, two days after being targeted with death threats for comments hostile to Islam. According to the girl's lawyer contacted by Le Figaro , her schooling will take place early next week. " She is relieved and happy with this, " says Richard Malka.

Read also: Death threats, blasphemy, controversy ... the Mila affair in five acts

Thursday, February 6, the Minister of Education, Jean-Michel Blanquer, had already indicated that a track had been found, without giving more details. He had simply declared that the solution found was "good and in the best interests of the girl". The first priority is obviously the protection and schooling of this young girl, this is what we have worked with the family from the start. The lawyer for the girl had estimated that " for the first time in two weeks, a very serious track [seemed] possible ".

Read also: Eugénie Bastié: "The strange silence of some of the feminists on the Mila affair"

On January 18, the schoolgirl had published a video on the social network Instagram in which she criticized Islam. A response, she said, to an argument with a user and homophobic comments he allegedly made. Then she said, " I hate religion. The Koran is a religion of hate, Islam is shit, I say what I think! I am not racist. You cannot be racist towards a religion. I said what I thought, you're not going to make me regret it. Your religion is shit, your God, I put a finger in her asshole, thank you, goodbye. "

After this publication, the video was massively shared on various social networks and a torrent of hatred fell on the young girl, the target of name-calling and death threats. In parallel, via the hashtag #JesuisMila, Internet users had sent him support messages. The teenager then decided not to go to her school the following Monday, January 20.

Read also: #JeSuisMila: what reveals the harassment of a teenager threatened for criticizing Islam

The gravity of the situation had prompted the courts to take up the case on January 23. Two investigations had been opened by the prosecutor Jérôme Bourrier: one, still in progress, for " death threats, threat of committing a crime, harassment " in order to identify the perpetrators; and the other for " provoking religious hatred " against Mila. This second investigation was closed without further action.

This story then reopened the debate on the right - or not - to blaspheme and many politicians or public figures were then involved. The general delegate of the French Council for Muslim Worship, Abdallah Zekri, had notably declared: " She sought him, she assumes. Who sows the wind reaps the whirlwind. "Minister of Justice Nicole Belloubet had also declared that" insulting religion is obviously an attack on freedom of conscience, it is serious ", before admitting an" error ".

Historian Mona Ozouf said " completely Mila " on Friday February 7 on set C to you:

At the beginning of February, Mila had assured in Quotidien not to regret his words while apologizing for people " who practice their religion in peace ".

The day after this interview, the Minister of the Interior Christophe Castaner had then assured that " Mila and her family [were] the object of a particular vigilance, to protect them ".

Read also: Henri Peña-Ruiz: “The Mila affair must not shake our attachment to secularism”

Source: lefigaro

You may like

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2020-04-05T19:39:46.080Z
News/Politics 2020-04-06T10:24:35.461Z
News/Politics 2020-04-06T11:06:46.586Z

Latest

news 2020/04/06    

© Communities 2019 - Privacy