02/19/2020 - 14:26
The electoral court of Bolivia announced on Wednesday that it continues to analyze the validity of Evo Morales' nomination to the Senate before versions of the local press that eliminated it, and amid growing protests that require disqualifying the ex-president for the May elections .
" No decision on any candidacy has yet been made , all the candidates are still in the process of analysis and review," the head of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal (TSE), Salvador Romero, told a news conference.
The TSE was forced to clarify the situation of Morales after Bolivian newspapers announced on their web pages that the ex-president had been eliminated from the electoral contest, as required by broad civil and political sectors of the right.
The adversaries of Morales want to make prevail a constitutional norm that requires a minimum of two years of residence in the country immediately before the electoral act, which would prevent Morales from aspiring to a seat.
Since November 2019, the former president is outside Bolivia, first as an asylum seeker in Mexico and now in Argentina as a refugee.
The situation of Morales, his presidential candidate Luis Arce and his former chancellor Diego Pary, "are still in the process of analysis and review," Romero said.
In addition to the requirement of the Pro Santa Cruz Civic Committee (CCPSC, radical right) to disable Morales, a group of activists related to that entity said Wednesday with the same request before the headquarters of the electoral court of Santa Cruz, the most developed from Bolivia.
The CCPSC also asked the prosecution to expand Morales' investigation of "terrorism and sedition" and proceed to seize his property.
The 1980 Nobel Peace Prize winner, the Argentine Adolfo Pérez Esquivel, tweeted: "In addition to the coup, to attempt against his life, to persecute his family, to arm him with false criminal cases, and to try to outlaw him from the elections, they now threaten seize the goods. They are afraid because @evoespueblo. Bolivia deserves Democracy, #BolviaMereceMAS ".
Morales, who ruled Bolivia for almost 14 years, is prevented from participating as a presidential candidate in the May elections, after annulling the elections last October, in which the OAS found irregularities that resulted in his resignation in the middle of a social upheaval, the pressure of the military and a riot of police.
Luis Arce, candidate of the Morales party, Movement to Socialism, leads the contest with 31.6%, according to a recent opinion poll by the Ciesmori group, followed by the centrist Carlos Mesa (17.1%). The transitional president Jeanine Áñez (right) collects 16.5%.