Today the world turns off the lights for an hour despite the corona virus. Also in the Ruhr area, such as in Dortmund, want to set an example at Earth Hour.
- The WWF starts its next Earth Hour on Saturday .
- Many cities in the Ruhr area - such as Dortmund , Essen or Bochum - take part in the campaign for more climate protection.
- The corona virus * is making a change this year.
Dortmund - The world turns off the lights for one hour on Saturday (March 28th) at 8:30 pm. Many cities in the Ruhr area are taking part in the World Wildlife Fund ( WWF ) campaign - the Earth Hour - including Dortmund, reports RUHR24.de *.
Earth Hour 2020: Many cities in the Ruhr area are also participating
According to the organizer, the Earth Hour is the world's largest campaign for more climate and environmental protection . Cities, companies and millions of people around the world turn off the lights for an hour. Important sights then remain dark.
In Dortmund, for example, the Environment Agency wants to draw attention to the special importance of sustainable energy use. Meanwhile, the corona virus also shows its effects at Earth Hour . Accompanying events, as usual, are canceled.
Important places in Dortmund remain dark at WWF Earth Hour 2020
For this purpose, the lights go out on time at 8.30 p.m. in key locations in Dortmund, among other places - here:
- Provost Church
- St. Peter's Church
- DEW21 headquarters (Kleppingstraße / Günter-Samtlebe-Platz 1, see photo below)
The lights go out in Dortmund on many critical spots due to Earth Hour on Saturday.
Households in the Ruhr area should also take part in the Earth Hour to set an example for climate protection . Because: If you turn off the light for an hour, you save around 7 grams of CO2 with an 11-watt energy-saving lamp according to DEW21. If a 60-watt light bulb is extinguished, 38 grams of CO2 are even saved.
WWF urges Germans to save CO2
By the way, every German is responsible for around eleven tons of CO2 emissions each year. The emissions in mobility or industry are even greater - which, of course, is also required to save CO2.
Just 1 day to go till #EarthHour 2020! Switch off for nature tomorrow at 8:30 pm your local time! # Connect2Earth
Incidentally, the Earth Hour started in 2007 in Sidney, Australia. Dortmund has been at the start since 2011.
These cities in the Ruhr area also participate in the Earth Hour (source: WWF):
- Bochum : German Mining Museum, Georg Agricola University of Technology, Historical Town Hall
- Unna : town hall
- Came : Telgmann fountain at the old market (artwork), city library, Pauluskirche, immersion heater (artwork) at the roundabout
- Bergkamen : Light art objects: Andreas M. Kaufmann - No Agreement today, no Agreement tomorrow Maik, Dirk Löbbert - Bergkamen sets standards (light steles in four roundabouts)
- Hagen : Rathaus II, schools, gyms, theaters
- Witten : Helenenturm, Bergerdenkmal
- Herdecke : town hall, Koepchenwerk
- Castrop-Rauxel : Erin Tower
- Herne : City Hall Herne, City Hall Wanne, Technical City Hall Herne, Academy Mont Cenis
- Recklinghausen : town hall
- Gelsenkirchen : Hans-Sachs-Haus, Gelsenkirchen-Buer town hall, Evangelical Baroque church on the market square, glass arcade of the science park
- Essen : All public buildings
- Oberhausen : Oberhausen Town Hall, Technical Town Hall, Osterfeld Town Hall, kitev - Kunst im Turm eV, Vondern Castle, Slinky Springs to Fame Bridge
- Duisburg : Town Hall, Burgplatz, Stadtwerke Tower, Stadtwerke Kühlturm, Wanheim Golden Ladder, shopping center "Forum", shopping center Königsgallerie, Marienkirche, Salvatorkirche, landscape park Duisburg Nord
- Dinslaken : town hall, town hall, museum
Due to the coronavirus pandemic (click here for the NRW live ticker *), the WWF is calling on people to take action instead of taking part in an event within their own four walls. Citizens should turn off the light in their own four walls.
WWF Earth Hour 2020: Hashtag in the social networks
There is also the hashtag #EarthHour on social networks , which can be used to publicize the campaign. A Facebook event was also set up for networking.
* RUHR24.de is part of the nationwide Ippen-Digital editors network.
List of rubric lists: © Roland Gorecki, Dortmund agency