The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Despite official ceasefire: new fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh

2020-10-27T08:50:58.355Z

A new ceasefire for Nagorno-Karabakh only came into effect on Monday - the third within two weeks. But this time the fighting between Armenia and Azebaijan continues.



Icon: enlarge

People in Stepanakert in front of the ruins of their house

Photo: Uncredited / dpa

Despite a new ceasefire, the fighting in the conflict area Nagorno-Karabakh in the South Caucasus continues unabated.

The mountain region authorities reported individual fights along the front line on Tuesday morning.

This was also confirmed by the Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense in the capital Baku and said that the opposing side had been pushed back further.

The Armenian Defense Ministry in the capital Yerevan had previously announced that the city of Kubadli, which was occupied by Armenian soldiers, had been recaptured from Azerbaijan.

Third ceasefire in three weeks

A new ceasefire mediated by the US government came into force on Monday morning.

It didn't last long, however.

It was the third attempt within two weeks that failed.

Armenia and Azerbaijan blamed each other for this.

The Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan wrote on Tuesday night on Twitter that the international community's efforts to establish a ceasefire had failed.

The fighting over Nagorno-Karabakh has been going on since the end of September.

Azerbaijan lost control of the mountainous area with around 145,000 inhabitants in a war after the collapse of the Soviet Union around 30 years ago.

A fragile ceasefire has existed since 1994.

Azerbaijan can rely on its "brother state" Turkey in the conflict.

Russia is the protecting power of Armenia.

Meanwhile the head of the internationally unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh region, Araik Arutjunjan, has changed the commander in chief.

The major general was injured.

Arutjunjan said he was certain that his troops could achieve "greater success" with the new leadership.

Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev wrote on Twitter that all destruction was being documented in the areas "liberated" by his armed forces.

Armenia should be held accountable for "war crimes".

Icon: The mirror

mfh / dpa

Source: spiegel

All news articles on 2020-10-27

You may like

Trends 24h

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy