The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Myanmar: Several dead in police violence against demonstrators


The protests against the coup in Myanmar are becoming increasingly bloody. Police have now fired live ammunition at demonstrators again. Several people were killed in the process.

Icon: enlarge

Protests in Yangon: Security forces again used tear gas, stun grenades and rubber bullets against demonstrators



A month ago the army seized power in Myanmar.

The military is taking action against protests against the coup with increasing severity.

Now the police have fired live ammunition again and killed several people.

News portals and eyewitnesses reported on social networks of at least seven fatalities in different parts of the country.

The victims could be seen in photos.

However, it was feared that the number could increase.

Dozens of demonstrators are said to have been injured, some seriously.

In Myingyan, in the north of the country, a youth was reportedly shot dead.

Two other protesters, a 37-year-old man and a 19-year-old woman, were killed in the city of Mandalay, according to the Myanmar Now portal.

Other reports mentioned four other dead in the city of Monywa.

The exact number of deaths since the protests began is currently unclear.

18 people were killed on Sunday alone.

Mass protests continue despite massive police violence

The mass protests against the military junta continue unabated despite the massive police violence.

It was already the 30th day of the resistance.

The security forces also used tear gas, stun grenades and rubber bullets, as the portal Eleven Myanmar wrote.

In view of the ongoing violence, the UN Security Council is due to discuss the crisis again.

As several diplomats unanimously reported, Great Britain requested a session behind closed doors in New York on Friday.

Also on Wednesday there were appeals to the United Nations in social networks to help the country.

Eyewitnesses are increasingly calling the former Burma a "war zone".

The military had put a coup against the de facto head of government Aung San Suu Kyi at the beginning of February.

The 75-year-old had won the parliamentary election in November by a clear margin.

She has been under house arrest since then and has to answer in court on various allegations.

The demonstrators are demanding the reinstatement of the former icon of freedom.

Icon: The mirror

asc / dpa

Source: spiegel

All news articles on 2021-03-03

You may like

News/Politics 2021-04-04T17:31:46.261Z

Trends 24h


© Communities 2019 - Privacy