The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Paris: the prefecture of police takes orders limiting two new pro-Palestinian protests

2021-05-22T21:07:16.851Z

Wanting to avoid new excesses like those observed last weekend, the prefecture of police took this Wednesday two "orders of



Support for the Palestinian people is expected to come back this weekend in Paris.

A week after the demonstration, however banned by the prefecture, two rallies are planned in the capital, Saturday and Sunday, in support of the Palestinians targeted by Israeli bombardments.

Wanting to avoid "disturbances to public order" like those observed last weekend, the police headquarters on Wednesday took two "partial prohibition orders", limiting the two demonstrations to static gatherings.

The Prefect of Police takes two orders limiting two demonstrations to static gatherings.


Read our press release.

pic.twitter.com/GpMAJHMce7

- Police Prefecture (@prefpolice) May 19, 2021

Thus, a first event scheduled for Saturday was declared by the Association France Palestine Solidarité.

It was to start at Place de la République at 3 p.m., before a planned dispersion at Place de la Madeleine at 6 p.m.

A second march at the initiative of the Association of Palestinians in Ile-de-France - which organized that of last Saturday - was to start Sunday at 3 p.m. from the Barbès-Rochechouart metro station to Place de la Bastille in 6 p.m., passing through Place de la République.

Or the same route as last Saturday.

The prefecture confirmed Tuesday in a statement that if the "two routes declared for these demonstrations are prohibited", "gatherings can be held on the Place de la République".

Legal proceedings for six protesters

Despite its ban, between 2,500 and 3,500 people - according to the authorities - had come to show their support last Saturday for the Palestinian people in Paris.

A mobilization which had given rise to some clashes between demonstrators and the police.

VIDEO.

Pro-Palestinian demonstration: clashes in Paris, a gendarme injured in the head

A massive police deployment - 4,200 police and gendarmes mobilized with instructions to disperse "immediate" - had prevented the demonstrators, who planned to go to Bastille, to deploy a procession.

A total of 367 people were fined in the capital, the Interior Ministry said on Saturday evening.

Six people, out of the 45 demonstrators placed in police custody, on the sidelines of the demonstration, were the subject of initial legal proceedings, mainly for violence, said the Paris prosecutor's office.

Read also Pro-Palestinian protest banned: 5 minutes to understand the controversy

The ban on the gathering, taken by the Paris police prefect, Didier Lallement, at the request of the Minister of the Interior, Gerald Darmanin, for “risk of disturbance”, had been confirmed Friday by the administrative justice.

Source: leparis

All news articles on 2021-05-22

You may like

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2021-10-16T04:09:37.598Z
News/Politics 2021-10-16T15:45:42.608Z
News/Politics 2021-10-16T07:16:02.694Z

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy