The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

"You feel like you failed your son." 2-year-old boy hospitalized for swallowing 16 magnetic balls

2021-06-21T16:46:53.718Z

The minor is in serious condition after several surgeries for ingesting 'buckyballs'. His mother sends a distressing message to other parents.



By Wilson Wong - NBC News

A 2-year-old boy has to feed himself through a tube after undergoing surgery at Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital, Florida, for ingesting 16 magnetic balls, known as

Buckyballs, 

his mother reported in an online publication. .

Hannah Arrington told the Orlando WESH station that her son Konin got the balls because one of his brothers brought them home.

"By the time he got them from whoever gave them, Konin ended up downing 16 of them and we had no idea," Arrington said, "They went right down his digestive tract and then every time he found another one somewhere. instead of the house, he swallowed it too. "

[61 magnetic balls are extracted from the intestine of a child, he had severe stomach pain]

Ingesting more than one of these powerful magnets can lead to these objects attracting each other into the intestines,

perforating the cavity of the abdomen and causing blood poisoning

.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has warned about the danger posed by these magnets for children, to the point of banning them for several years before allowing them again starting in 2016. 

Between 2009 and 2018, 4,500 cases were registered in hospitals of ingestion of these magnets, according to the government entity.

2-year-old Konin Arrington X-ray after swallowing 16 magnetic beads.

Hannah Arrington / via WESH

The company that makes the

Buckyballs

did not respond to our request for comment Thursday.

However, according to their website, their magnetic toys appear to include a warning label that reads in part: “Stay away from all children!

Do not put it in the nose or mouth.

When ingested, the magnets can adhere to the intestines and cause serious damage or death ”.

Arrington mentioned that Konin, after undergoing multiple surgeries, had to return to the hospital and now has a catheter with a feeding tube because he cannot hold down the food he eats.

In November, a 6-year-old boy from New Jersey had to undergo several operations after ingesting magnetic toys that caused eight holes in his intestines.

The same month, a 4-year-old from Indiana was hospitalized for swallowing 27 magnetic balls.  

 And in 2018, doctors had to remove part of the colon, intestine and appendix from a 4-year-old boy from Wisconsin who had swallowed 13 magnetic balls.

Arrington, a mother of five, advises other parents to

check what their children bring home.

“My husband and I never thought we would have to examine our children when they come home after school,” she said, “check your children's backpacks and ask them how they did, but also their pants or shirt pockets. ”.

"It makes you feel like you failed your son," Arrington added.    

Source: telemundo

All news articles on 2021-06-21

You may like

News/Politics 2021-03-18T14:43:28.896Z
News/Politics 2021-03-28T12:01:30.389Z

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2021-07-23T06:51:50.017Z
News/Politics 2021-07-23T17:01:04.469Z
News/Politics 2021-07-23T21:34:13.793Z

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy