The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Storms and floods in Rhineland-Palatinate and North Rhine-Westphalia: the death toll rises to 81

2021-07-16T05:52:10.153Z

The death toll continues to rise after the flood disaster in North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate on Friday morning. Over a thousand people are still missing.



The death toll continues to rise after the flood disaster in North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate on Friday morning.

Over a thousand people are still missing.

Thousands of rescuers are looking for survivors in the rubble left by the floods in the flood regions of North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate.

The Bundeswehr is now also in action.

On Friday morning, the death toll in Rhineland-Palatinate will be corrected up to 50.

"The fear is that there will be more," says a spokesman for the Koblenz police headquarters.

Flood disaster in North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate: the death toll rises to 81

So far, 31 fatalities have been reported in North Rhine-Westphalia.

This increases the total number of deaths to over 81.

The spokesman could not say exactly how many people are still missing, especially in the region around Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler.

The Interior Minister of Rhineland-Palatinate, Roger Lewentz (SPD), said on Thursday evening that the fate of 40 to 60 people was still unclear.

+

Euskirchen: Three people take photos and watch the masses of water that spread across a street and a restaurant.

© Bernd März / B & S / dpa

Flood disaster in North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate: Over a thousand missing people?

This explains the number

The Ahrweiler district even spoke of 1,300 people still missing in the district.

A spokeswoman explained that with a partially paralyzed cellular network.

Since neither electricity nor mobile phone network works, nobody can be reached in the disaster regions.

This is how you come up with the more than a thousand missing people.

Hours of heavy rain had led to a devastating flood.

The focus of the disaster is the Ahrweiler district.

In the 700-inhabitant village of Schuld an der Ahr alone, several houses were swept away by the masses of water, and numerous other buildings, some severely damaged.

But other regions were also hit hard.

Horror news near Cologne: Houses collapse - residents are still there

The situation in North Rhine-Westphalia is still tense.

On Friday morning, dramatic scenes take place near Cologne.

One house after another collapses in Erftstadt-Blessem.

Calls for help can be heard from the houses.

But currently an evacuation is only possible with a messenger.

This Friday morning after the strophe of the century is also determined by individual horror reports.

At this point in time, it is hardly possible to get a real overview of the situation.

It is only clear that with the work of the rescuers, the number of confirmed deaths will continue to rise in the course of the day.

(

kmm / dpa)

Source: merkur

All news articles on 2021-07-16

You may like

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2021-10-13T07:58:05.911Z
News/Politics 2021-10-13T08:27:30.881Z

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy