The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Closed roads, mudslides, record levels: this is the flood situation in the Garmisch-Partenkirchen district


The prognoses have come true: there were floods in the district on Sunday. But the emergency services quickly got the situation under control.

The prognoses have come true: there were floods in the district on Sunday.

But the emergency services quickly got the situation under control.

County - The water came - in abundance.

Compared to the disaster areas in the Federal Republic of Germany, however, the district has been spared tragedy.

Instead, one thing has emerged: the high investments in flood control have had an effect.

In Eschenlohe, for example.

Only in Garmisch-Partenkirchen is there another night full of worries in front of the fire department because of the Partnach.


Eschenlohe has withstood the highest water level since the flood control was built around 15 years ago. 3.41 meters were measured on Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Loisach Bridge before the values ​​dropped. For orientation: reporting level 3 comes into effect at 2.80 meters, which was reached around 9 a.m. The previous record after the inauguration of the flood protection was measured on June 2, 2013: 3.28 meters. The construction, confirmed fire brigade commander Franz Steffl, is a blessing for the village. In the past, in a situation like yesterday, there would have been “disaster alarms”. But as it was, he worked with his people stress-free, whatever happened. The stop log lock on Heubergstrasse had already been set up at 7.30 a.m., and that on Garmischer Strasse at around 1 p.m. These are a kind of mobile flood dams that preventthat the place is virtually flooded through the back door. Many people from Eschenloher apparently had water in their basements - but the fire brigade was not needed. Various cycle paths, especially along the Loisach, have been closed.

The well-known routes in the Murnau region were also flooded: On the state road near Achrain nothing went on Sunday night, the B 2 was no longer passable yesterday from 7 a.m. between Murnau and Ohlstadt - during the day it spread until Eschenlohe from a large lake landscape.

At around 10 a.m., the B2 between Eschenlohe and Oberau was over.

Traffic on the A 95 was diverted from Sindelsdorf.

Because of the flooding between Eschenlohe and Oberau, the trains were also canceled.

The end of the line was in Weilheim, and a replacement rail service was set up to Murnau and Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Upper Isar Valley

On Saturday, the Mittenwald fire brigade had already undertaken several reconnaissance trips and checked the levels. She was alerted for the first time shortly before midnight. A mudslide had hit the Marchklamm. The large amount of water threatened to run into the houses on the Brunnstein. The weir secured the objects with sandbags. "It was pointed at the button," says Commander Karl Seitz. At the Scharnitz border crossing, the road was temporarily closed to traffic in both directions.

Shortly after 4 o'clock the comrades went to sleep.

But it wasn't that far with the rest afterwards.

At 5 o'clock the beeper went again.

This time there was a mudslide on the state road 2542 at the height of the Husselmühle.

A passage was blocked, some gravel landed on the road.

A haulage company was hired to clear the route.

On Sunday at 4.30 p.m. it was only accessible on one side.

In addition, the stream backed up in front of the power station, so that two houses overflowed.

The residents had left this early.

Attachments had to be removed from the two objects.


A lot of debris loosened from a mudslide at the Marchklamm near Mittenwald. 

© Hans Schmid

Keller also had to pump out the fire brigade.

Seitz estimates it was between five and ten.

By Sunday at 4.30 p.m., the Mittenwalder Wehr had 32 missions.

Between 30 and 50 volunteers got involved.

Forces from the building yard also helped.

According to Seitz, there was no personal injury - neither among the population nor with the fire brigade.

Nothing went beyond that on the Mittenwald-Leutasch route.

The road could not be used because the Leutascher Ache was a bit overgrown.

The toll road to Vorderriß was closed because the Isar crossed the lane.

The routes to the Fereinalm and the Fischbachalm were also not passable.

Train traffic also had to be restricted.

The section between Mittenwald and Scharnitz was closed.

The trains from Innsbruck went to Scharnitz and ended there prematurely.

Those from the direction of Munich only ran to Mittenwald.

The situation in Wallgau on Sunday afternoon was calm.

Until then, the volunteer fire brigade had not been on duty.

The situation at the Krün fire brigade was relaxed on Sunday afternoon.

After a few exploratory trips, it was clear: everything was going well.


Michael Sexl and his team face a night of uncertainty.

The Partnach worries them.

“It's still a lottery,” says the commandant of the Partenkirchen fire brigade.

If there is blockage, i.e. clogged channels, due to the washed up material, the hitherto reasonably quiet location quickly turns into a problem.

That's why Sexl and his comrades - around 50 were on duty on Sunday - hold the position on the Silberackersteg and let a drone fly over the Partnach.

So that the weir can get the situation under control at an early stage in an emergency.


A raging river: The Partnach, here at the Holzhof, has turned into a huge river.

© Kornatz

The commander suspects that the largest individual damage occurred on Sunday at the Wettersteinalm.

The terrace was flooded.

"It has calmed down a bit now," says landlady Annemarie Grasegger in the late afternoon.

An excavator was used.

Like the Wetterstein, the Esterbergalm was no longer accessible.

But not only there areas were under water.

The sports street between the tennis court on the Hausberg and the driveway to the Hotel Riessersee had to be closed as a result, says town hall spokeswoman Silvia Buyer-Schropp.

Likewise the Wildenauerstraße and temporarily the B23 between Garmisch and Grainau.


Relaxation: The Ammertal villages got away with the black eye.

Worst of all, if you can even put it that way, it hit Oberammergau.

The situation is very stable, says Stefan Maier, commander of the local fire brigade, but there were closures due to flooding.

On the one hand, the poor soul street had to be closed, on the other hand the footpath along the Ammer.

Their level in the early afternoon was around 2.12 meters.

It gets tricky, says Maier, "it gets more than 2.40 meters".

His Ammertal colleagues also gave the all-clear.

"We only set up the two stationary flood pumps," says Unterammergau commander Maximilian Gaida.

To get rid of the surface water on the streets.

Source: merkur

All news articles on 2021-07-18

Similar news:

You may like

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2021-08-04T14:07:28.731Z


© Communities 2019 - Privacy