The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

US admits: We killed ten civilians in Afghanistan accidentally - Walla! News

2021-09-17T22:43:00.026Z

The U.S. military says a car bomb had exploded at an Iraqi police recruiting center at Kisak, west of Baghdad, killing at least 40 people.



  • news

  • World news

  • America

US admits: We killed ten civilians in Afghanistan accidentally

The U.S. military says a car bomb had exploded at an Iraqi police recruiting center at Kisak, west of Baghdad, killing at least 40 people.

Tags

  • United States

  • Afghanistan

  • ISIS

News agencies

Saturday, 18 September 2021, 00:35 Updated: 01:31

  • Share on Facebook

  • Share on WhatsApp

  • Share on general

  • Share on general

  • Share on Twitter

  • Share on Email

0 comments

  • Clashes in Silwan between residents and security forces, 17 ...

  • 2 buildings were evacuated in Bnei Brak for fear of collapsing 17.09.21

  • The scene of the accident in Arara in which a young man about 20, 17 was killed ...

  • Biden on the talks of the US Army Commander with his counterpart ...

  • Eitan's aunt: He has already lost one family - he does not ...

  • A virtual summit to mark the anniversary of the Abrahamic Agreements

  • Prof. Ash: We expected a more significant slowdown ...

  • Putin is voting online in the general election

  • Linken on the submarine deal with Australia: "Want to ensure ...

  • Bennett: The escape from prison is a wake-up call, the systems ...

  • Bennett in an interview with Walla !: I say no to vaccine opponents ...

  • With masks, tests and great excitement: 2,458,000 ...

In the video: Biden strongly defends the withdrawal of forces from Afghanistan (Photo: Reuters)

The United States acknowledged last night (Friday) that an attack by a U.S. drone had killed 10 civilians in Afghanistan last month - including seven children.



General Kenneth McKenzie, commander of the U.S. Army Central Command, expressed remorse for what he called a "terrible mistake." Inadvertently ten civilians, including seven children. "It is unlikely that the vehicle and those inside it were connected to the Islamic State organization.

The attack was carried out with the sincere intention to remove a threat to our forces during the evacuation at Kabul airport, but a mistake was made.

I offer my condolences to the families and relatives of those killed.

We will investigate the incident. "

More on Walla!

Mystery in Afghanistan: Where did two Taliban leaders go?

To the full article

Vehicles attacked by US drone (Photo: AP)

So far, the U.S. military has claimed that the UAV attack on August 29 was a "proper attack" and even called it a "just attack." and found no evidence that the vehicle was carrying explosives.



Gen. MacKenzie ordered an investigation into the incident, the findings revealed that the driver was killed along with nine members of his family is Zamar Ahmadi, working on behalf of non-governmental organization that delivers food to Afghan civilians. according to reports, the car was carrying bottled water The



New York Times reported that Army analysts apparently inadvertently assumed that Ahmadi was seen leaving a house where ISIS members were hiding, and in fact followed him and the sedan car he had been driving for eight hours until the attack. , After the attack on the airport in Kabul in which, among other things, 13 American soldiers who were involved in evacuating civilians from the country were killed.

US forces help evacuate residents of Kabul, August (Photo: Reuters)

After receiving a briefing on the findings of the investigation, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin yesterday ordered a further investigation.

He expressed his condolences to the family and said that "we now know that Mr. Ahmadi had no connection to ISIS, and that his activities that day did not pose a threat as we believed, and he too like others is a victim of tragic circumstances. We will learn from this incident in the future."



Human rights groups welcomed the inquiry and called for further action.

"A full and transparent investigation must be launched, those responsible must be prosecuted and the families of the victims and the survivors must be updated and compensated," said Brian Kasztner, a senior official at Amnesty International.

"It should be noted that the US military mistakenly admitted only because the eyes of the world are on Afghanistan. Similar attacks have taken place in places like Syria, Iraq and Somalia, away from the spotlight. The United States continues not to take responsibility for these cases, while families suffer."

  • Share on Facebook

  • Share on WhatsApp

  • Share on general

  • Share on general

  • Share on Twitter

  • Share on Email

0 comments

Source: walla

All news articles on 2021-09-17

You may like

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2021-10-11T17:14:49.541Z
News/Politics 2021-10-11T18:57:01.370Z

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy