The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Tour of the most important Thanningen monuments

2021-09-26T18:58:45.669Z

At the Open Monument Day, Guido W. Weber took visitors to Thanninger houses steeped in history. They testify to the rich history of the Eglingen district.



At the Open Monument Day, Guido W. Weber took visitors to Thanninger houses steeped in history.

They testify to the rich history of the Eglingen district.

Egling

- The history of Thanning and its monuments aroused great interest: Take a look at the historical tours with Dr. Guido W. Weber on the occasion of the Open Monument Day, a total of 150 citizens came. Weber is happy about the response: “Monuments are home and identity. It's about recognizing their beauty and their value. ”To this end, he explained many of the twelve monuments on Thanninger Grund to the visitors, eight of which are wooden houses.

The church of St. Peter and Paul, first mentioned in a document in 799, is characteristic of Thanning.

It received its current, striking appearance with tuff stone blocks in the Romanesque period.

On August 12, 1754, a fire destroyed the nave, and the reconstruction was a lengthy process.

A curiosity on the side: hermits lived in the tower above the sacristy for a long period of time.

What many do not know: On the east side of the tower there are large pictures from 1896, "Last Supper" and "Jesus on the Mount of Olives".

Today they are completely overgrown with ivy.

Countess Justitia, a woman of great influence

On this occasion Weber referred to the local saint, Countess Justitia, of whom it is said that she is buried in the church - which, however, is not documented. Justitia is mentioned in a document in 1070 and appeared as a benefactress, for example by feeding the poor. Together with her husband Otto II, Count von Dießen, she formed a powerful couple who, among other things, controlled trade between Germany and Italy. “It wasn't a village nobility,” Weber assured his audience. Her son Heinrich had the famous stone bridge built in his capacity as Prince-Bishop of Regensburg.

The story of another Thanninger reads tragically: Johann Georg Kidler, ringleader of the Bavarian popular uprising of 1705 against the Austrian occupiers.

He was the son of the Thanningen village shepherd, once such an important profession that the community provided him with his own house, the "community hut".

Today it is called "Hecklhaus" after a later resident, the shoemaker Blasius Heckl.

In front of this house on Amtmannstrasse - currently a construction site - Weber told the story of the revolutionary who went from Thanning to Munich to settle down as a landlord in the valley.

Johann Georg Kidler, a revolutionary from 1705

Kidler - another spelling: Khidler - rose to become a respected member of Munich society and played a key role in the uprising of 1705. The rural population brutally enslaved by the occupiers revolted.

But the plan that sympathetic townspeople like Kidler should secretly let the rebels into town for Christmas 1705 was betrayed.

The uprising was brutally suppressed ("Sendlinger Mordweihnacht"), the fugitive kidler was arrested in a Franciscan monastery and executed soon afterwards.

In 1919 the "funny Wendlstoana" were founded in the house in which the revolutionary grew up.

The municipality sold the house in 2017.

Also read: Thanning mourns Josef Wiedenbauer

The schoolhouse was also an important station.

What many do not know: Compulsory schooling in Bavaria came relatively late in 1803. Before that, it was the hermits of St. Peter and Paul who taught the Thanningen children the most essential things.

The first teacher in the present sense seems to have been Xaver Wiedmann from Aubing, who married von Thanning's sacristan daughter.

As a result, the lessons first took place in the sacristan's house.

The first Thanningen school was inaugurated in 1825, but it soon became too small.

The current school building dates from 1912. Since the Thanningen children now go to the Eglingen school, it lost its function.

Since then it has often served as a film set.

Also read: Wolfratshausen's urban elevation 60 years ago

Another stop was the memorial with the strange name “Ungelder” on the main street.

It was a kind of tax office.

The term refers to a tax that was levied on everyday necessities in ancient times - especially beer.

This tax was extremely important for state finances: in 1913 the beer tax made up 35 percent of all Bavarian taxes.

But it was so unpopular with the citizens that they only spoke of “ungeld”.

The man who collected the tax was therefore called the “Ungelder”.

As Weber said, the Thanninger went one better.

The “beer penny” was introduced here to finance the tower clock acquired in 1903.

A surcharge of one penny was due for each mass of beer.

Source: merkur

All news articles on 2021-09-26

You may like

News/Politics 2021-09-26T18:58:45.669Z
News/Politics 2021-07-21T15:14:26.605Z

Trends 24h

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy