The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

London police "will not take action" against Prince Andrew after sexual abuse complaint review

2021-10-11T14:15:22.725Z

The police have decided to "take no further action" against Prince Andrew after a review prompted by Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who filed a lawsuit in New York for alleged sexual abuse.



Prince Andrew, accused of alleged sexual abuse 0:51

London (CNN) -

The London Police Force has decided to "take no further action" against Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, following a review by Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who filed a lawsuit against him in New York for alleged sexual abuse.

The Metropolitan Police Service (MET) decided to abandon its investigation after reviewing a number of documents, including those that were released in August 2021 as part of Giuffre's civil suit in the United States.

"This review has been completed and we are not taking any further action," the force said Monday in an emailed statement to CNN.

Giuffre, an alleged victim of disgraced sex offender and financier Jeffrey Epstein, alleged that she was forced to perform sexual acts with Prince Andrew.

She said she was trafficked by Epstein and forced to have sex with her friends, including the Duke of York, when she was a minor.

Andrés has denied similar allegations by Giuffre in the past.

advertising

Journalistic investigation

The Met also said it would take no action following a review of allegations uncovered in an investigation by London-based Channel 4 News, which reported "more than half a dozen allegations that young women and girls have allegedly been trafficked, groomed or abused in the UK for over a decade by Epstein and British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell. "

Maxwell has pleaded not guilty to sex trafficking and other charges.

"We also reviewed the information that a media outlet passed to us in June 2021. This review has been completed and no further action will be taken," said the Metropolitan Police.

The body "continues to be in contact with other law enforcement agencies who are directing the investigation into matters related to Jeffrey Epstein," the statement added.

  • ANALYSIS |

    The civil complaint against Prince Andrew has broader implications for the royal family

This comes months after Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick told LBC radio station that "no one is above the law" when asked about the allegations against the Duke of York.

"The position is that we have received more than one allegation related to Mr. Epstein and we have reviewed them, evaluated them and we have not opened an investigation," said Dick at the time.

The reaction from the surroundings of Prince Andrew

A source close to Prince Andrew said that "it is no surprise that the metropolitan police have confirmed that, after having reviewed the allegations of sexual assault against the duke for the third time, they will not take further action."

"Despite media pressure and claims for new evidence, the Met has concluded that the claims are not sufficient to warrant any further investigation. The Duke has always vigorously maintained his innocence and continues to do so. "he added.

The lawsuit against Prince Andrew

Giuffre's lawyers provided the British royal with legal documents from a lawsuit last month.

In the suit, Giuffre says that Prince Andrew sexually abused her, both at the invitation of Epstein and Maxwell, when she was a minor, and that the cases of alleged sexual abuse occurred at Maxwell's London home and at the Epstein's home in Manhattan and on his private island in the US Virgin Islands.

Prince Andrew leaves his public activity 2:37

Both Buckingham Palace and Prince Andrew have vigorously denied their allegations.

But Andres' associations with Epstein and Maxwell - Epstein's ex-girlfriend - continue to haunt him.

US authorities have accused Andrés of not cooperating with attempts to interview him as part of the investigation into the alleged sex trafficking ring that Epstein and Maxwell are suspected of operating.

The prince withdrew from his royal duties following a 2019 interview with the BBC in which he was deemed to have damaged his own credibility.

Now he rarely appears in public.

CNN's Max Foster contributed to this report.

Sexual abuse Prince Andrew

Source: cnnespanol

All news articles on 2021-10-11

Similar news:

You may like

Trends 24h

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy