Sebastian Kurz as the new ÖVP parliamentary group leader in the parliament in Vienna
Photo: Hans Punz / dpa
In the course of the corruption affair, Austrian public prosecutors applied for the lifting of Sebastian Kurz's immunity.
The public prosecutor's office for business and corruption confirmed a request for extradition.
Kurz resigned on Saturday evening under pressure from the corruption investigation against him.
Last week it became known that the business and corruption prosecutor's office was investigating the 35-year-old on suspicion of breach of trust, bribery and corruption.
The 35-year-old and his management circle are said to have bought positive media reports and embellished surveys with tax money.
Kurz dismissed all allegations so far as "false" and refused to withdraw from politics.
In the course of the allegations, however, the Austrian government between the ÖVP and the Greens threatened to break up.
Kurz resigned from his position as chancellor, but at the same time moved into parliament as a member of parliament.
This now has to decide on the lifting of immunity in one of its next meetings.
Ten people in sight
Until this decision, the investigation against the 35-year-old had been canceled for the time being, said a spokesman for the judicial authority.
The conservative ÖVP parliamentary group, which Kurz has been leading as parliamentary group leader since Thursday, welcomed the move.
This will soon make it possible to refute the allegations against Kurz.
There are two investigations underway against the former head of government.
In addition to the possible corruption activities of the ÖVP, the public prosecutor is also investigating the suspicion of a false statement in the Ibiza investigation committee.
A total of ten people are investigated on suspicion of infidelity, bribery and corruption.
Kurz also denies these allegations.
mrc / dpa