A senior US diplomat issued another call on Monday (October 18) for talks with North Korea, arguing that the US had no hostile intentions towards Pyongyang after tensions rose.
Read also In North Korea, Kim Jong-un's great leap back
Sung Kim, United States Special Representative for North Korea, met in Washington with his South Korean counterpart Noh Kyu-duk, ahead of a trilateral meeting Tuesday with senior Japanese diplomat Takehiro Funakoshi.
“We will continue the diplomatic path with North Korea to make tangible progress that will improve the security of the United States and our allies,”
said Sung Kim.
"We have no hostile intentions towards North Korea and we hope to meet them unconditionally
," he told reporters. The diplomat added, however, that the allies had the
"responsibility to implement the resolutions of the UN Security Council"
, referring to the sanctions that Pyongyang is trying to lift.
Read also North Korea: the moon is more familiar to them than the rest of the world
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un denounced the United States' role in the sanctions last week, dismissing claims of no hostility on the part of Washington.
North Korea recently carried out several military tests with the launch of a long-range missile as well as a weapon fired from a train, and what Pyongyang said was a hypersonic missile.
Kim Jong Un had met three times with President Donald Trump who boasted of preventing conflict but failed to reach a comprehensive deal to end North Korea's nuclear program.
Joe Biden has promised to continue pursuing the diplomatic route, but taking a more low-key approach than his predecessor.