The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

A COVID-19 patient was going to be disconnected from the ventilator. His wife went to court to save him.


Scott Quiner, 55, was admitted to a Minnesota hospital following complications from the coronavirus. Thanks to his wife, he is still alive and "recovering."

A Minnesota woman managed to prevent her husband from being taken off his life-sustaining ventilator, just an hour and 26 minutes before doctors did.

Anne Quiner received a notification on January 11 from doctors at Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids, advising her that her husband, Scott Quiner, 55, would be disconnected after being on a ventilator for two months due to COVID-19. . 

When his wife learned of the decision, she sued the hospital.

In the lawsuit, the woman pleaded for an order preventing the hospital from disconnecting her husband.

A judge granted the request and signed the order at 10:34 am on Thursday, January 13, preventing Scott Quiner from being disconnected. 

Anne Quiner also requested the transfer of the man to a hospital in Texas that agreed to treat him and where, according to the family's lawyer, Marjorie Holsten, they are giving him better care. 

[Why are N95 masks the safest against COVID-19?

An expert explains]

In a statement to the Star Tribune newspaper, the lawyer assured that in the Texas hospital the doctor said that "Scott was the most malnourished patient he had ever seen" and that all his organs work, except for the lungs.

According to Holsten, Scott Quiner lost up to 30 pounds at Mercy Hospital.

“He is recovering, although he has a long road ahead of him,” the lawyer told The Washington Post.

The man is communicating with his family by blinking his eyes, shaking his head and shaking his hands.

Allina Health, the company that runs Mercy hospital, says the patient was receiving quality care at that hospital and has not provided specific details about the case.

Do you know how to use COVID-19 home tests correctly?

An expert teaches us

Jan. 19, 202205:22

Scott Quiner was not vaccinated when he tested positive for COVID-19 on October 30.

He was admitted to a hospital in Waconia, a city southwest of Minneapolis.

When his health worsened, he was transferred on November 6 to the intensive care unit at Mercy Hospital. 

The family launched a petition on the GoFundMe platform where they have raised more than $36,000 to pay for the patient's medical expenses.

Source: telemundo

All news articles on 2022-01-20

You may like

News/Politics 2022-03-11T19:05:02.822Z

Trends 24h


© Communities 2019 - Privacy