Internet services were restored on Tuesday (January 25th) in Yemen after a four-day outage due to an airstrike by the Saudi-led military coalition against a port held by Houthi rebels.
Read alsoThe keys to understanding eight years of civil war in Yemen
Global internet monitoring organization NetBlocks said its services had been "
" in the war-torn country, and AFP journalists in the rebel-held capital Sanaa and in the port of Hodeidah confirmed that the resumption of connections shortly after midnight. “
Connections had been cut after a series of deadly airstrikes. The incident had serious consequences for the work of independent media and the coverage of human rights violations
,” NetBlocks says.
On Friday, the NGO said the Saudi-led coalition, which supports Yemeni government forces against rebels, bombed Hodeidah overnight, destroying a telecommunications center and causing an internet blackout across the country. . At least three children died in the strike, according to Save the Children. Meanwhile, an airstrike on a prison in Saada, a Houthi stronghold in northern Yemen, killed at least 70 people on Friday. The rebels accused the coalition, which denied any involvement. The internet outage notably affected the operations of emergency services after the strikes.
On January 17, the Houthis claimed responsibility for a drone and missile attack on oil installations and Abu Dhabi airport, which left three people dead, prompting a series of international condemnations.
They again fired missiles against the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia on Monday.