The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

US Attorney General personally approves crackdown on Trump

2022-08-11T20:21:23.431Z

After the house search at ex-President Trump, the pressure on US Attorney General Merrick Garland increased. Now he has commented on the historically unique procedure - and personally assumed responsibility.



Enlarge image

Attorney General Merrick Garland: "reasonable suspicion" against Trump

Photo: Susan Walsh/AP

US Attorney General Merrick Garland has personally endorsed the decision to seek a search warrant on former US President Donald Trump's home.

Garland said Thursday at a short-notice speech in Washington.

"The search warrant was granted by a federal court following the required determination of reasonable suspicion."

Garland added, “The Ministry does not take such a decision lightly.

Wherever possible, less intrusive means are sought as an alternative to a search, and any search is strictly limited.

No details on the search

The process is considered unprecedented in US history.

The pressure on Garland had since grown to take a stand.

Trump was not at his home during the search.

He and other Republicans have criticized the search and accused Democratic US President Joe Biden of politicizing the FBI.

Garland said Thursday he could not comment on the details of the search.

However, given the public interest and Trump's confirmation of the incident, his department has petitioned a federal court to release the search warrant and receipt for any items seized.

Garland emphasized, "All Americans have the right to equitable application of the law, due process, and the presumption of innocence."

The background to the search was apparently Trump's handling of documents from his tenure.

Earlier this year, it was revealed that the National Archives, which is responsible for storing presidential correspondence, suspected several boxes of confidential material were in Mar-a-Lago.

Trump finally handed over several documents to the agency in January.

After that, according to US media reports, there was a further exchange between investigators and Trump's lawyers.

Officials suspected that Trump or his team were continuing to withhold important documents, the Washington Post wrote, citing anonymous sources.

The FBI is said to have taken twelve boxes.

kfr/dpa

Source: spiegel

All news articles on 2022-08-11

Similar news:

You may like

News/Politics 2022-09-21T21:20:52.121Z

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2022-10-02T00:55:04.462Z
News/Politics 2022-10-01T17:30:51.294Z

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy