Elon Musk steps down as Twitter boss?
Survey result shows a clear picture
Created: 2022-12-19 2:39 p.m
By: Julian Baumann
After continued criticism of his leadership style, Twitter owner Elon Musk had his future as head of the company voted on.
The result is clear.
Will the entrepreneur keep his word?
San Francisco – Since the takeover of the short message service Twitter by entrepreneur Elon Musk, criticism of the tech billionaire's management style has not stopped.
Immediately after the takeover, Musk fired the entire management team of the San Francisco-based company and shortly afterwards started a large wave of layoffs in the workforce.
Twitter employees learned by email whether they still have a job with the short message service.
Several controversial statements by the new owner on Twitter over the past few weeks have increasingly damaged the reputation of the great visionary.
The fact that the once celebrated entrepreneur is no longer welcomed everywhere with open arms was recently shown when Elon Musk was booed for minutes during a guest appearance.
The ongoing criticism has now pushed the multi-billionaire to the point of having his future as CEO voted on Twitter.
In this way, Musk had already sealed the return of ex-US President Donald Trump on Twitter through the community.
Elon Musk has his future as Twitter CEO voted on - the result is clear
The fact that Elon Musk is considering handing over the post as head of Twitter sooner or later is not news.
A few weeks ago, Elon Musk unpacked in court about a difficult time at Tesla and also spoke about his future on Twitter.
"After the takeover, there must first be a storm of activity to reorganize the company," said the billionaire.
"But I expect to reduce my time on Twitter afterwards." This intention could now be accelerated significantly.
On Monday, December 19, the Tesla boss put the short message service to a vote on whether he should step down as "Head of Twitter" and promised to comply with the result of the poll.
Within a few hours, more than 17.5 million Twitter users voted on Elon Musk's future as CEO (as of December 19, 12:50 p.m.).
Even before the deadline had expired, a clear trend emerged which ultimately proved to be true.
According to the final result, 57.5 percent of the participants voted in favor of leaving Elon Musk as Twitter boss and 42.5 percent voted against.
According to his promise to accept the results of the survey, the entrepreneur would have to resign as CEO of Twitter.
That would also please Tesla shareholders, who have already called for Musk to focus on the electric car maker again.
Elon Musk: If he keeps his word, he has to step down as Twitter CEO
It is not yet clear whether Elon Musk will actually resign as Twitter boss after the clear result of the survey.
A user already had ideas about how things could continue after the result before the deadline expired.
"If 'Yes,' Elon will remain CEO for a few more months until he finds a loyal successor," he wrote.
"If 'No', Elon will remain CEO for a few more months until he finds a loyal successor." Accordingly, the user suspects that, regardless of the result, the Tesla boss will continue to pursue the plan he already had for leading Twitter.
The Twitter people have spoken: according to the results of a poll prepared by Elon Musk, he has to step down as head of the social networking company.
© Adrien Fillon/dpa
Overall, there was a mixed reaction to Elon Musk's expired vote on Twitter.
Some users can hardly wait for the entrepreneur to give up his post.
"Yes please!" wrote one.
“As soon as possible.” Others have already asked where you can apply to be a successor.
But some are even downright appalled that Musk could actually resign.
"No, what the hell?" one asked.
"Please tell us this is a joke," commented another.
"You single handedly made Twitter fun, exciting, unabashed, real, sensible and entertaining."
One thing is certain, regardless of Elon Musk's reaction to the clear result of his survey, that the tech billionaire will sooner or later want to resign as CEO of Twitter.
However, since he will continue to own Twitter after buying the company for $44 billion, he could still pull the strings behind the scenes.
Incidentally, the native South African has already expressed thoughts of resigning for his position at the head of the electric car giant Tesla.