Man bitten on the finger by cat - four years later he is dead
Created: 2022-12-19, 1:48 p.m
By: Kai Hartwig
A cat bite can have fatal consequences.
(Iconic image) © Axel Heimken/dpa
Being bitten by a pet should not be taken lightly.
A cat's fall in Denmark ended fatally for a man.
Videbaek/Munich – Dogs and cats are among the most popular pets people have.
Keeping an animal in your own four walls can cost a lot of money.
According to a study, pets cost their mistresses and masters up to 25,000 euros - cats are more expensive than dogs.
But animal lovers don't just have to reckon with financial efforts.
Proximity to pets can also be dangerous for your own health in individual cases.
You hear about dog attacks with a dramatic outcome again and again.
In Denmark, a man paid for caring for a cat with his life - but only several years after the animal attacked him.
Cat bites man's finger - he dies four years later from the long-term effects
According to a report by the Danish television channel TV2, Henrik Kriegbaum Plettner died at the age of just 33 as a result of a cat bite.
However, that happened in 2018.
Four years ago there was an incident that ended fatally for Plettner years later.
The young man from the small town of Videbaek in Denmark actually only wanted to help a mother cat and her kittens.
On the day of the ultimately fatal cat attack, Plettner had lifted the mother animal.
The cat reacted aggressively, possibly also to instinctively protect its offspring.
She bit Plettner's finger - the supposedly harmless cat attack had fatal consequences for the then 29-year-old.
After a cat bite: finger amputation didn't help the young Dane either
"Within a few hours, the finger doubled in size," the mother of the deceased told TV2 of the effects.
Plettner suffered a serious infection from the cat bite and had to be hospitalized the following day.
And it got even worse: Despite 15 operations, the affected finger could not be saved by the doctors and was amputated in the end.
However, the bite of the cat brought bacteria into the young Dane's blood.
"His immune system was broken, he got one infection after the other," said his mother.
Her son never recovered: “He contracted pneumonia, gout and other diseases.
The course of the diseases was unpredictable.”
Again and again Plettner ended up in the hospital.
The doctors treating her tried to get the problem under control with medication.
But it didn't help, in October Plettner lost the fight for his life and died four years after the cat bite from the long-term effects.
His widow mourns the loss of her husband, after the tragic death of her husband she wrote a statement to all cat lovers: "After a bite, go to the doctor, don't think, oh, that's just a cat.
Don't take any chances.
We knew he was bad.
However, we had no idea that he was so seriously ill."