Cum-Ex-architect Hanno Berger wants to go to the Federal Court of Justice
Created: 12/21/2022 9:38 am
Hanno Berger is standing in the courtroom before the verdict is announced.
After being sentenced to eight years in prison, cum-ex architect Hanno Berger wants to go to the Federal Court of Justice.
The 72-year-old said that he would appeal, the Bonn district court said on Wednesday morning on request.
After delivery of the written judgment, he has one month to justify the appeal.
Bonn - Last week, the regional court sentenced Berger to prison for particularly serious tax evasion in three cases between 2007 and 2011.
The court estimated the tax damage of these three cases at 276 million euros.
Berger received 13.7 million euros, which he has to repay.
The 72-year-old was a driving force in the share deals, in which financial players staged a confusion about the dividend record date and the tax authorities reimbursed unpaid taxes.
The tax lawyer Berger advised banks and mediated investors in order to get large loans with their capital and then be able to invest a lot of money in the cum-ex deals.
Another case is pending before the Wiesbaden district court against Berger in connection with the Cum-Ex scandal.
When the verdict was announced in Bonn, the presiding judge, Roland Zickler, suggested that the accused should consider forgoing an appeal.
The judge pointed out a paragraph in the Code of Criminal Procedure, according to which a judgment from one criminal case could have a mitigating effect on another case - even the termination of the other case would then be possible.
However, this presupposes that the judgment from the first procedure is final.
Berger's lawyer Richard Beyer had said after the Bonn verdict that the verdict in relation to the findings of the court was a guilty verdict "which must be regarded as guilty and appropriate to the punishment".