The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Another of ridiculous rich: from 'The White Lotus' to 'The Mystery of Glass Onion'


In the HBO Max series, crimes are the least of it; in the Netflix movie, everything revolves around 'who has it been'. But both are acid portraits of an extravagant and capricious superelite.

We are the 99%, said the outraged who took to the streets a decade ago.

Thus they denounced inequality: the richest 1% of the world population accumulates almost as much wealth as the remaining 99%.

Within that 1% is 0.000038%, which are the 2,668 people who appear on the

Forbes list.

because they amass more than a billion dollars.

Almost all men, almost all white or Asian, a good part of them from the technological sector.

Their fortunes total 12.7 trillion with b dollars, 13% of global GDP.

Says Paul Krugman: "A group of capricious oligarchs have taken over our world."

The satire of the rich —arrogant, narcissistic, frivolous, godlike— has inspired two of the most interesting television productions this year, which coincide in putting them in the middle of crimes.

The most successful is the second season of

The White Lotus

(on HBO Max), which follows a group of wealthy people on vacation at a luxurious hotel in Sicily.

Almost all unhappy, almost all unfaithful to their partners, who swallow to maintain their status;

almost all light years away from ordinary people.

In the same vein is

Daggers in the Back: The Mystery of the Glass Onion


Netflix's Christmas premiere.

Rian Johnson's acid film brings detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) to a meeting on a private island in Greece called by a flamboyant tech mogul.

The rich man gathers in his impressive mansion people who owe him favors, even if they hate it, to play at solving a fictitious murder;

there will be a real one that will change everything.

And that he will photograph them.

While in

The White Lotus

the crimes are the least of it, because they capture the daily miseries of that caste, in

Glass Onion

everything revolves around

who has been

, but we also see the most ridiculous face of the superelite.

That she has nothing to fear: the satires on her lifestyle - also those of





they are just another business for them.


Trailer for the second season of 'The White Lotus'

You can follow EL PAÍS TELEVISIÓN on


or sign up here to receive

our weekly newsletter


Subscribe to continue reading

Read without limits

Keep reading

I'm already a subscriber

Source: elparis

All news articles on 2022-12-30

You may like

News/Politics 2023-01-15T23:21:25.078Z
News/Politics 2023-01-10T12:56:00.995Z
Life/Entertain 2023-01-11T05:20:06.249Z
News/Politics 2023-01-16T06:22:37.183Z

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2023-06-07T07:32:21.218Z


© Communities 2019 - Privacy

The information on this site is from external sources that are not under our control.
The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.