Rocket triggers fire: apartment on fire – person hit in the face by pyrotechnics in the Olympic Park
Created: 01/01/2023 09:23
By: Katarina Amtmann
It was a busy night for the Munich fire department.
© Munich fire brigade
The Munich fire brigade was in constant use on New Year's Eve.
There were many smaller operations in the city, but also larger fires.
Munich - New Year's Eve is over - and with it a busy night for the rescue workers.
In many Bavarian administrative districts things have been relatively quiet, there have only been minor operations.
Among other things, in Upper Bavaria, the fire brigade also had to move out to larger operations such as house fires.
Busy New Year's Eve for the Munich fire department - flames in the apartment
There were more than 200 calls for the Munich fire brigade alone until the early hours of the new year.
"As early as midday on New Year's Eve, several, mostly smaller, operations took place throughout the city.
Garbage cans, hedges or newspaper stands burned," the fire brigade said in a press release.
The first major fire brigade operation then took place from 9:15 p.m. in the north of Munich.
A balcony fire in an apartment building was probably caused by a rocket.
When the first emergency services arrived, the fire had already spread to the apartment “and set it completely on fire.
Only a massive firefighting attack with two squads attacking from the inside and another squad using an extinguishing pipe via the turntable ladder was able to prevent the fire from spreading to a roof structure at the last second," the press release continues.
Our Munich newsletter informs you regularly about all the important stories from the Isar metropolis. Sign up here.
Our Munich newsletter informs you regularly about all the important stories from the Isar metropolis.
Sign up here.
"Massive flames": Rocket triggers fire in Munich
However, the roof beams were already burned by the "massive flames".
In order to check the roof skin, parts of it had to be opened from the outside.
Subsequent alarmed units checked the adjoining apartments.
The apartment building was smoked out with several high-performance fans.
All residents were able to get to safety in time.
"The closer the turn of the year came, the higher the number of emergency calls," said the fire brigade.
Fireworks repeatedly caused fires throughout Munich.
Garbage can houses with dumpsters burned, several fires broke out on balconies and also led to room fires.
However, rapid intervention was often able to prevent major damage.
The Munich fire brigade in action in a balcony fire.
© Munich fire brigade
Long deployment for the Munich fire brigade on New Year's Day
At 1.50 a.m. there was a fire in several garbage containers on the building in Ehrwalder Straße.
Although the fire was quickly extinguished by the emergency services, the expansion joint of the building was also set on fire, as the fire brigade explained in a press release.
As a result, there was smoke in two apartments.
The entire building therefore had to be checked afterwards and smoke extracted from two apartments.
At 7 a.m., the emergency services on site were replaced by the next shift.
The operation is currently - as of 9 a.m. - still ongoing.
Police operation at Schuhbeck (73) – On the evening before the big farewell, the Munich restaurant is stormed
Annemarie Carpendale breaks down in the English Garden - but she takes it with a lot of humor
Munich benefits from checkout errors at Aldi – and proudly presents its loot
Dream of a 9.99 euro house in Munich burst: company backs out
New Year's Eve 2022/23: Here you can welcome the new year in style
Fancy a voyage of discovery?
Millions around the world are celebrating the end of the year
In the Munich Olympic Park: Person hit in the face by pyrotechnics
It was also a busy New Year's Eve for the emergency services staff.
“There were reports of some serious injuries to eyes or hands caused by pyrotechnics.
A person in the Olympic Park was hit in the face by pyrotechnics flying around and was seriously injured.
But excessive consumption of alcohol also led to increased deployments due to falls or disputes, ”said the fire brigade.