The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

What happened to Fernando Báez Sosa? How was his death?


Three years after the crime of Fernando Báez Sosa, the trial will begin this Monday in the courts of Dolores, in the province of Buenos Aires

Silvino Báez (left) and Graciela Sosa (right), parents of 18-year-old Fernando Báez, demonstrate in front of the Congress building in Buenos Aires on February 18, 2020 to demand justice one month after his murder.

- Báez died of his injuries after a brutal attack by a group of rugby players outside a nightclub in the coastal town of Villa Gesell.


(CNN Spanish) --

This Monday begins the trial against eight former Argentine rugby players accused of beating Fernando Báez Sosa to death at the exit of a dance venue in the resort town of Villa Gesell on January 18, 2020. Three years of the crime, the trial will begin in the courts of Dolores, in the province of Buenos Aires.

The trial is expected to include 150 witnesses and the defendants are in court, according to information from state news agency Télam.

The eight defendants, young people between the ages of 21 and 23, have been in pretrial detention since 2020, accused of "aggravated homicide by the premeditated participation of more than two people and treachery."

The defendants could face up to life imprisonment for this crime.

Báez Sosa, a young law student, died in the early morning of January 18, 2020 as he left a dance venue in the seaside resort of Villa Gesell, located 380 km from Buenos Aires.

The young man died as a result of the attack with punches and kicks that he received from a gang of several rugby players.

According to the autopsy, the young man died of "cranial trauma."

“They beat him a lot, said the victim's mother, Graciela Sosa, after the young man's death.

"They beat him until they couldn't find him anymore, until they killed him."

  • Shock in Argentina over the death of a young man at the hands of a group of rugby players

The fight would have started inside a dance venue in Villa Gesel, from which the attackers were removed by the security of the establishment, according to a report by Argentine Public Television.

Once outside the place, Báez Sosa reportedly called the incident over, but 15 minutes later, the group attacked the young man with kicks and fists, leaving him seriously injured.

Local media, cited by Reuters, reported that the assailants came together to attack Báez Sosa despite the fact that he was seriously injured on the ground.

Báez Sosa's mother, Graciela Sosa, told CNN that she found out about the events through a phone call in which she was informed that her son was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

"I thought I was going to take care of him, but no. It wasn't like that," Sosa said about how she found out her son died.

"It was the most terrible day of my life," the woman said between tears.

"Everything fell apart. It was our support, our fight to move on. My house is empty when I get up and look at his bed, he's waiting, and I know he'll never come back because of what they did to him," Sosa said a month after the death of his son in a public demonstration in Buenos Aires.

In principle, 11 young people between the ages of 18 and 20 were arrested after the crime.

At first, only two of the defendants were accused of being the material authors of the murder of Báez Sosa, however, the Dolores attorney general confirmed to CNN that one month after the crime, the accusation was extended so that the eight detainees had that accusation.

The defendants' lawyer told local media in 2020 that the principle of innocence corresponds to them.

  • Preventive detention of 8 rugbiers for the death of Fernando Báez Sosa in Argentina

Argentina: rugby players arrested for the death of a young man 0:58

On January 23, 2020, thousands of people took to the streets of Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina, to demand justice in the case.

In the following weeks and months, three of the eleven defendants were dismissed from the case, leaving only the eight current defendants under the scrutiny of the authorities.

The courts ordered pretrial detention for the eight defendants on February 14, 2020. Since then, they have been deprived of their liberty in Melchor Romero's Mayor's Office 3.

For the trial, it is expected that they will be transferred to the Dolores Penitentiary Service, in the province of Buenos Aires, reported Telam.

-- With information from Iván Pérez Sarmenti, Hugo Mario Correa and Emilia Delfino from CNN in Buenos Aires. 

Fernando Baez

Source: cnnespanol

All news articles on 2023-01-02

Similar news:

You may like

News/Politics 2023-02-06T16:43:37.557Z

Trends 24h


© Communities 2019 - Privacy

The information on this site is from external sources that are not under our control.
The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.