Did the Venezuelan opposition commit suicide?
(CNN Spanish) --
(CNN Spanish) --
The head of the Venezuelan government delegation for negotiations in Mexico with the opposition, Jorge Rodríguez, warned on Tuesday that if the "return" of US$ 3.2 billion is not met, which -according to his version— are part of the social protection agreement signed last year in Mexico, "there is no reason to continue a dialogue" with whom he accused of being "people without a word."
Two sources with knowledge of the negotiation process told CNN that the agreed amount is around $3 billion.
Public Ministry of Venezuela issues arrest warrants and red alert against former opposition deputies
At the end of November, the government and the opposition signed an agreement according to which funds belonging to Venezuela abroad would be allocated for these purposes and which were frozen as part of sanctions from countries such as the United States, Canada and members of the European Union. , by ignoring Nicolás Maduro as president of Venezuela on the grounds that the May 2018 elections failed to comply with democratic conditions.
According to the agreement, the funds would be invested in health, education, the electrical system and to help those affected by the rains.
The projects, which were announced to be carried out in several phases, would be carried out by the United Nations.
The parties did not specify the exact origin of the funds.
Rodríguez, also president of the National Assembly, said from the seat of parliament that he believes in the pledged word, and affirmed that the representatives of the Venezuelan opposition signed that social agreement in the presence of representatives of Mexico, the Netherlands and Russia.
He added that his counterpart had first requested authorization from the United States government.
The document of the agreement mentioned by Rodríguez was made public after the signing in Mexico, however the text does not establish a specific amount.
In its first point, it contemplates the constitution of a monitoring and verification commission with 5 representatives of each of the parties and a representative of Norway as mediator.
So far those appointments have not been publicly announced.
Government and opposition of Venezuela restart this Saturday the negotiation process in Mexico
CNN contacted the opposition delegation to find out their reaction to this request, without having received a response so far.
CNN also requested a reaction from the US State Department, without success so far.
Similarly, we established communication with the Kingdom of Norway to find out more details about the process of implementation of the agreement and we remain awaiting a response.
During his management report, offered on January 12, Maduro referred to the issue and asked the United States to release the funds of the agreement and to lift the sanctions.
Nicolás MaduroVenezuelan opposition