The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Carbon monoxide poisoning: the city of Nice will distribute 500 detectors to the poorest households


The distribution must be done thanks to withdrawal vouchers given to associations such as the Red Cross and the Restos du Coeur. The latter will then be responsible for identifying the households that need it the most.

Le Figaro Nice

To discover

  • Follow all the news of the city of Nice

While a cold spell is currently crossing the country and several tragedies have been caused by carbon monoxide poisoning in recent weeks, in Nice as in the rest of the country, Christian Estrosi wishes to alert and raise awareness of the risks associated with the use of auxiliary heaters in homes.


The current context of energy crisis with the significant increase in energy prices encourages reckless behavior increasing the risk of poisoning or fires

", he recalls in a press release, stressing that "

carbon monoxide is a dangerous, colorless and odorless gas, produced by all heating or cooking appliances that run on gas, wood, gasoline, ethanol...

" In fact, this gas is the source 3000 poisonings and a hundred deaths each year in France.

Read alsoAlpes-Maritimes: a family saved by firefighters after being poisoned by carbon monoxide

Faced with this situation, the municipality launched last weekend an operation to raise awareness of the risks of intoxication.

In particular, it has produced an information brochure entitled “

Heating without danger

”, which includes the main prevention advice for combating these risks.

This document was sent to all social landlords, co-ownership trustees and representatives of neighborhood committees so that these reflexes are relayed.

Withdrawal vouchers given to associations

In addition, the city councilor and president of the Nice Côte d'Azur Metropolis also wishes to allow the most precarious homes in Nice to equip themselves with carbon monoxide detectors.

Thanks to the help of its various partners, Leroy Merlin, Axa and Fnaim, the city is thus preparing to distribute 500 carbon monoxide detectors to the most precarious thanks to withdrawal vouchers which have been given to associations such as the Croix -Rouge and Restos du Coeur.

The latter will then be responsible for identifying the households that need it the most and giving them the withdrawal vouchers.

Read alsoIn the Alpes-Maritimes, a record number of minor migrants and saturated reception centers

Monday evening, in Vence, in the hinterland of Nice, a family was saved by firefighters after being poisoned by carbon monoxide.

Arrived on the spot, the emergency services took care of two adults and two teenagers, all four unconscious.

All were transported to the Pasteur hospital center in Nice, where they were placed in a hyperbaric chamber to increase their oxygenation.

According to the latest information provided, no vital prognosis has been made.

Everything suggests that a boiler failure could be the cause of the incident.

On January 3, 75 residents of the same building were treated for poisoning with the same gas, in Strasbourg.

Source: lefigaro

All news articles on 2023-01-25

You may like

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2023-03-27T18:12:21.581Z


© Communities 2019 - Privacy

The information on this site is from external sources that are not under our control.
The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.