In the case of the 59-year-old who was killed by her ex-partner in Bad Lauchstädt, according to the Ministry of the Interior, there were probably deficiencies in the work of the authorities.
The ministry had received extensive reports on how the police and weapons authorities had dealt with the case of domestic violence before the act of violence, it said in a statement on Wednesday.
Bad Lauchstädt/Magdeburg - "The evaluation of these reports so far suggests that the police handling of the events should have been different and, above all, more professional."
The woman killed on March 8 had already contacted the police on February 1, it was said.
Her husband, who is separated from her, followed her in the car and tried to pull her out of her car.
The 61-year-old was already known as a gun owner at the time.
"Since February 1, 2023, the Saalekreis police station should have carried out more detailed investigations, implemented the prescribed threat address, carried out a risk analysis and documented the information obtained as evidence," the ministry continued.
The 61-year-old man and his 59-year-old ex-partner were found with gunshot wounds in the woman's apartment two weeks ago.
Interior Minister Tamara Zieschang (CDU) said: "The appalling act shows the danger posed by people who misuse weapons to injure or kill others.
Guns do not belong in the hands of aggressive, violent or extremist people.
In such cases, it is important to confiscate their weapons as soon as possible.” She announced measures to sensitize the police and weapons authorities to cases of domestic violence in the family environment.
They should act quickly and more consistently.