Soak up a little sun, discover culture and gather new impressions. A short break is a nice change from everyday life. These are three destinations to keep an eye on right now.
Munich – The anticipation of summer holidays is growing – especially now that the sun is still a long time coming here in Germany. If you want to enjoy a little holiday feeling now, you can get your money's worth with a city trip. Especially within Europe, short breaks are a good idea. You don't know where to go? According to the travel tips of the comparison portal for flight and hotel booking Skyscanner, these three holiday destinations are the most popular in spring.
1) Barcelona: Mediterranean, urban, artistic: short trip to the capital of Catalonia
Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia for a reason: the city is the hub of famous architecture, art and culture: Antoni Gaudí's architecture with its famous design language and mosaics, which have been recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, meets the art of world-famous artists such as Pablo Picasso or Joan Miró. The most famous attraction is Gaudí's Sagrada Família Basilica, which is also the tallest tower in the city.
Artistic architecture and lots of hustle and bustle – Barcelona is worth © a visit Aleksandar Pasaric/Pexels
If you want to get holiday souvenirs, you can meander through the hustle and bustle of Las Ramblas. The busiest street in Barcelona, with its many stalls, is the tourist hub of the city. To get to know the city even better, districts – such as the Gothic Quarter (Barri Gòtic) in the district of Ciutat Vella or the charming district of Gracia with its bodegas – offer plenty of space to discover. And if you want it to be quieter, relaxing hours on the beach can help. Tip: Tickets for attractions or museums can be purchased online in advance. In this way, you avoid unnecessary waiting times.
2) Zurich: Picturesque town with "Dörfli" character
Zurich is regularly ranked among the world's most liveable cities, according to The Economist Group's ranking, which examines the quality of life in cities worldwide. It's no wonder that trips to Switzerland's largest city are also becoming increasingly popular. Alpine flair meets picturesque architecture. City feeling on nature. Zurich combines the best opposites and manages a balancing act.
As if painted: Lake Zurich is one of the holiday highlights in Zurich © Pexels
Whether it's relaxing by the glittering waters of Lake Zurich or shopping on Bahnhofstrasse – there's something for almost everyone in Zurich. Lake Zurich offers space for picnics, sports or even live music. And there is a lot to discover in the historic old town, such as the Niederdorf district, which is also called "Dörfli" by locals. With colourful facades, bay windows and small alleys, it offers holidaymakers many new impressions and nice cafés, restaurants and bars.
3) Nice: sun, beach and sea – Provence is so beautiful
The leaves are green, the flowers are in full splendor and the weather makes you want to spend relaxing days at the beach. Nice in Provence is a holiday paradise, especially in spring. The fact that the Cote d'Azur is always a beautiful holiday destination should not only be obvious to connoisseurs and enthusiasts. But especially in spring, the visit is particularly worthwhile: little tourism and lower prices. In addition, there is sun, beach and turquoise sea.
"Maddie McCann is found": forensic scientist presents three theories in the missing person case
Lauterbach talks about the death and illness of Tina Turner: "She regretted the mistake afterwards"
Austria's exceptional alpinist falls 60 meters to his death at the Brenner Pass – son has to watch misfortune
Austrians discover German border supermarkets: "At this price, Rewe should have been bankrupt long ago"
Fatal effects of tourism: Natural wonder in Yellowstone Park is probably destroyed
Fancy a voyage of discovery?
My areaSouthern French flair: Nice offers the balancing act of sea and city holidays © Pierre Blanché/Pexels
Nice is not only a bathing paradise, but also impresses with its culture. Churches such as Saint-Nicolas or Sainte-Jeanne d'Arc are impressive sights in the historic city. Art lovers can hang out in the Marc Chagall National Museum or stroll through the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art.
If you want to experience the nature of France, you can take a trip to the botanical garden. And if you just want to discover the winding streets of the old town, you will find pretty brassierias and cafés with southern French flair. Tip: By rental car, you can go on excursions to Cannes (1.5 hours away) or the Principality of Monte-Carlo (40 minutes).
With these 5 tips, the short break will be perfect:
Especially for a short trip, good planning is required. To help you get the most out of your holiday – and not to spend a lot of money – follow these 5 tips from Skyscanner.
- The shortest travel time: Especially when time is short, you want to arrive at your holiday destination as quickly as possible. Short flights or trains help to avoid unnecessarily long travel times.
- New destinations: If you want to go on holiday spontaneously or cheaply, it is easier to be open to your destination. This not only broadens your horizons, but can also save you a lot of money.
- Take advantage of bridging days: To turn a weekend trip into a slightly longer vacation, it can help to take a look at the calendar when planning your vacation – bridging days offer a simple solution to extend the short vacation without using up valuable vacation days. Tip: Booking early is important here – otherwise it can quickly become expensive.
- Good planning: Short trips are especially worthwhile if you plan well: Thinking about which sights you really want to see or which restaurants could be great saves valuable time on vacation. And increases the anticipation.
- Only with carry-on baggage: Little luggage has the advantage of not having to wait unnecessarily at the airport. In addition, it is much more practical to get from A to B, especially on city trips.
If you want to travel in an environmentally friendly way, you can also travel by train instead of plane. Especially within Germany, there are beautiful destinations that are easy to reach - and are affordable thanks to the Deutschlandticket.