The United States said Thursday it remains ready to mediate between the warring parties in Sudan, but on condition that they are "serious" about a truce, after the failure of talks in Saudi Arabia.
Once the forces have made it clear through their actions that they are serious about respecting the ceasefire, the United States and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia are ready to resume facilitating the suspended talks to find a negotiated solution to this conflict," a State Department spokesperson said during Secretary of State Antony Blinken's trip to Oslo.
The army shelled paramilitaries with heavy artillery in Khartoum on Wednesday after withdrawing from US- and Saudi-led negotiations to allow the delivery of humanitarian aid to famine-stricken Sudan.
The State Department spokesman said there had been "serious ceasefire violations by both sides" to the conflict. "These violations have led us, as facilitators of these talks, to seriously question whether the parties are ready to take the necessary steps to fulfil the obligations they have undertaken on behalf of the Sudanese people," he said.